Food Plots No Plow Played Out?

MOCON4TN

Hello everyone - I planted Whitetail Institutes "Imperial No Plow" in the spring. Tilled the plot and got a nice stand. I have been staying away from the area since May. Checked the plot yesterday (July 8) and the plot looked to be played out. We have had a ton of rain the last couple of weeks. It is possible it was overgrazed as the plot is small (estimate 20x60) but the camera batteries died in early June and the plot looked good on those last photos (cant attach a photo for some reason).

What do you all think - is it due to the warm weather and do I need to switch to a fall / warm season variety?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

spoon

MOCON4TN":ovitgyp0 said:
So what would be good to plant in July/August?

Nothing, too dry and hot. Wait until end of Aug start working the ground for fall. If it was me, I'd start out with a soil
sample for white clover then put out the recommended rate of lime and fertilizer. Plant wheat or oats, red, white clover around the second week of Sept before a good rain

Farm manager

Sunn Hemp will do fine if planted right now and will grow until frost. I mix hemp and quail haven (reseeding) soybeans together at 20lbs hemp 10 lbs soybeans. The beans are a vining variety and they will climb the hemp. A good choice if you have problems with Johnsongrass. A burndown spraying with glyphosate then a postmergence spray with Select/clethodim. No fertilizer required and will grow in most any soil. I got my seed from Petcher's Seed in Alabama but Wannamaker's, Hancock Seed, and possibly your local seed store can get it for you.

Latest posts