Nightforce on the way

WGK

After a bunch of research I finally pulled the trigger on a new scope. I am currently building a new smokeless ML and I purchased a Nightforce SHV in 5-20x56 with the MOAR retical. The gun will be a 45cal with a heavy contour Brux barrel cut at 29 inches. These magnum ML are know to be scope killers which prompted me to buy the Nightforce. Can't wait to get this gun together and see what it will do.

megalomaniac

perfect gun for 'primitive weapon' season!

but you will LOVE the nightforce.... you'll probably commandeer it for a rifle in the near future!

Sniper

Wow sounds interesting and seems like a lot of scope for a MZ? You will have to post some pics. What velocity do you expect to achieve with the smokeless mz? Just curious as I have a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 on my 416 Ruger and I haven't seen any recoil issues with it pushing 350 - 400 grain bullets around 2400 - 2500 fps.

WGK

With a 275gr bullet I am expecting around 3000fps at the Muzzel.
Mark I am not expecting to get the barrel from Jeff until mid April so I won't have the gun finished in time for the shoot.
And yes it is a lot of scope but I plan on killing a deer at 500 yards with the gun this next fall.

WGK

The go to load for these Brux barrels and the 275gr bullet seems to be 75 to 78 grains of IMR 4198. At a finished weight of 16 to 18 pounds it won't be a gun that I will carry very far. LOL

WGK

These Smokless ML can really be a lot fun to shoot and hunt with. And can be amazingly accurate. I am by no means an expert but if anyone has any questions I will be glad to try to answer them. Or you can post them up in the Smokless forum and someone will help you out.

GOODWIN

Guess I've never really been drawn to the precision smokeless game. What appeals to you about it? Why not just a large bore rifle? Not knocking you just curious...I'm sure it'll shoot better than most of my rifles.

Nice scope btw.

WGK

Well GOODWIN I really liked the ML Deer season but never cared much for conventional ML.I had so many friends that talked about loosing deer they had shot. So I started off with a standard Savage which was not very accurate at all and that about drove me crazy. Once I started reading about the custom guns and how accurate they were I knew I had to have one. And it just kind of took off from there. My other custom ML will shoot with the very best of my CF rifles.

Bow Hunter

WGK is correct about how well these new 45 cal smokeless ML shoots, not in my wildest dreams did I think mine would shoot out to 300 yards so Easley and still be as accurate as any center fire rifle. I'm having a 40 cal built and they are suppose to also be a tack driver.

GOODWIN

WGK":fvgfkpa6 said:
Well GOODWIN I really liked the ML Deer season but never cared much for conventional ML.I had so many friends that talked about loosing deer they had shot. So I started off with a standard Savage which was not very accurate at all and that about drove me crazy. Once I started reading about the custom guns and how accurate they were I knew I had to have one. And it just kind of took off from there. My other custom ML will shoot with the very best of my CF rifles.

Good deal. Good luck with this project!

Latest posts