NFL Farm System

Scioto

It's sort of funny how the media is taking Vrabel's press conference comments about college football being the "NFL farm system" out of context. Although it is true, what he meant was NFL coaches have to pay attention to what is being run at the college level and adopt some of it. But some in the media are conflating it and asking "should college football players be paid"?

I'm also sure that Meyer and Saban bristled when they heard him say "Nick Saban is our farm system. Urban Meyer is our farm system." While true, I'm sure they bristled when hearing it. But they shouldn't. Every recruit that has now heard that comment, even though Vrabel meant all of college football is the farm system, has got "Ohio State and Alabama are NFL farm teams" in the brain just a few weeks prior to final national signing day! That comment is going to boost the Alabama and Ohio State final 2018 recruiting classes.

If you really want some laughs, go to MGOBlog and read how a bunch of Michigan fans think the Ryan Day offer/declined offer, Ed Warriner to Titans to coach the O line rumor, and the farm system comment are all one big Vrabel/Meyer conspiracy targeting Michigan football. Some good stuff over there.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Funny, but don't you think that college is the farm system for engineering, teaching, management, medical, etc? I think that people react more than think, and this is a prime example. Media trying to drum up sympathy for college athletes again...

Scioto

That's right. The counter, however, is that the schools aren't making millions off the talents and likenesses of the pre-med, engineering, education etc students. To which I say those students aren't receiving free tuition and room and board, free tutoring, free health and nutrition counseling, free strength and conditioning, a COA stipend etc. plus, where is the line drawn? Do all athletes in the Big Ten's 28 sports or the SEC's 14 Sports get paid or just the male football and basketball players?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Not to mention the fact that alumni groups are known to take very good care of graduated athletes who give their all for a university. If they play their cards right, athletes have far more opportunities than average students

Zulu

Scioto":1eownckl said:
Do all athletes in the Big Ten's 28 sports or the SEC's 14 Sports get paid or just the male football and basketball players?

According to this article, ALL of the Power-5 conference athletes on full scholarship receive the full COA payments; athletes on partial scholarship receive partial payment.

I agree with it 100%. It's not just limited to the athletes; I've seen with my kids if a student gets academic scholarships in excess of what he owes the school (tuition, fees, books, meal plan, and dorm if living on campus), then the school will give that student a check up to their COA. My boy netted a cool $14 this semester :D .