NFL Draft

Mescalero

The Alabama offensive haul this draft is more than impressive. Makes getting torched in the national championship a bit more bearable. Damn that's a lot of talent.

I really like Josh Palmer. I think he'll have a good career in the league
Where are the Vols fans?

Back to Bama. The 2019 team had 2 first round QBs, 1 first round RB, FOUR first round WRs, and 2 first round OL. Went 11-2 and didn't play in a NY6 Bowl.

Does anyone realize that the SEC doesn't play D anymore? I guess why bother.

PillsburyDoughboy

The Alabama offensive haul this draft is more than impressive. Makes getting torched in the national championship a bit more bearable. Damn that's a lot of talent.

Where are the Vols fans?

Back to Bama. The 2019 team had 2 first round QBs, 1 first round RB, FOUR first round WRs, and 2 first round OL. Went 11-2 and didn't play in a NY6 Bowl.

Does anyone realize that the SEC doesn't play D anymore? I guess why bother.
Nick Saban had more 1st rounders this year than total losses at ALABAMA:)

Not true but still impressive:)

Mescalero

Mescalero

Dylan Moses and Justin Hilliard, 5 star HS LBs, go undrafted. Injuries maybe, but I don't think the NFL values the LB position (backed up by salaries I'm sure and base nickel packages).

Eli needs to drop weight and play safety or learn to block and catch and move to TE. Playing LB only gets you a free education.

sun

Dylan Moses and Justin Hilliard, 5 star HS LBs, go undrafted. Injuries maybe, but I don't think the NFL values the LB position (backed up by salaries I'm sure and base nickel packages).

Eli needs to drop weight and play safety or learn to block and catch and move to TE. Playing LB only gets you a free education.
Of the top 11 linebackers in the 2021 draft, Moses was the only one to not get drafted.
Obviously it's due to medical reasons since the NFL teams have his medical records.

Micah Parsons -12th pick, 1st round, Cowboys
Zaven Collins - 16th pick, 1st round, Cardinals
Jamin Davis - 19th pick, 1st round, Washington
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah - 20th pick, 2nd round, 52nd pick overall, Browns
Nick Bolton - 26th pick, 2nd round, 58th pick overall, Chiefs
Pete Werner - 28th pick, 2nd round, 60th pick overall, Saints
Monty Rice - 92nd pick overall, round 3, Titans
Baron Browning - 105th pick overall, round 3, Broncos
Jabril Cox - 115th pick overall, 4th round, Cowboys
Cameron McGrone - 177th pick overall, round 5, Patriots

All 10 of the linebackers above plus Moses were mentioned in this pre-draft article.

[h3][/h3]

Last edited:

Mescalero

Most base defenses in the NFL are nickel packages. Doubt many of those listed are traditional Mike LBs. Werner is a SAM and could drop weight to play more of a safety or "Rover" position. Same for Davis. JOK translates to more of a safety. Browning will drop down to EDGE in Denver's 3-4.

sun

It's very wrong to say that linebackers only get a free education.
Most of them will become instant millionaires and multi-millionaires.
They will make more in one year than most people make in their entire lifetime.
You're really off the mark in so many ways.
Players picked in the first 3 rounds are making a lot more than the minimum NFL salary which is $610K for "active roster players" for 2021, and practice squad players make even less.
Their signing bonus is paid immediately just for signing their contract.
It won't matter if they play linebacker or not, they were drafted because they played linebacker well in college.
The Dollar slot values and signing bonuses for each draft position speaks for itself.
--------------------------------------------------
"These contract values for first round picks are the total contract worth plus their signing bonus. However, they do not include any other endorsement deals or off the field financials for the players.

No. 12 Micah Parsons - Dallas Cowboys
Total contract/signing bonus: $17.1 million/$9.8 million

No. 16 Zaven Collins - Arizona Cardinals
Total contract/signing bonus: $14.7 million/$8 million

No. 19 Jamin Davis - Washington Football Team
Total contract/signing bonus: $13.8 million/$7.4 million "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"In the NFL, the spot you're drafted can have a drastic impact on your earning power your first few years in the league. Dropping a few spots can cost a player several millions of dollars thanks to the NFL's rookie wage scale, which predetermines the salaries for each year's rookies based on the league-wide salary cap..............
............Each player drafted in the first round receives a four-year contract. They aren't eligible to renegotiate their deals until after their third contracted year.

....."Unfortunately, [draft positioning] means a lot," Michael Bapis, managing director at Vios Advisors at Rockefeller Capital tells CNBC Make It. "If you're at the top of the draft, it's very important. But if you're not in one of the top one or two rounds, then ultimately you're going to have to play [well] to get paid."

Pick No. 12: Micah Parsons, Dallas Cowboys

• Total contract value: $17.1 million
  • Signing bonus: $9.8 million

Pick No. 16: Zaven Collins, Arizona Cardinals

• Total contract value: $14.7 million
  • Signing bonus: $8.1 million

Pick No. 19: Jamin Davis, Washington Football Team

• Total contract value: $13.8 million
  • Signing bonus: $7.4 million
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"....According to Over the Cap, the salaries for the second-round draft picks range from $1,579,416 to $952,995. Third-round pick salaries range from $899,198 to $818,073.
The day two selections in the second and third round will all receive four-year contracts. The top second-round pick will sign a deal estimated to be a four-year, $8.68 million contract which includes a $3.87 million signing bonus, per Over the Cap. The last pick of the second round has a four-year, $5.24 million contract with a $1.37 million signing bonus.

The top pick in the third round lands a four-year, $4.94 million contract with a $1.15 million signing bonus. Day two ends with ten compensatory picks that project to have a four-year, $4.49 million contract with a $832,292 signing bonus.

These numbers include a player's base salary along with their signing bonus.

Pick 58.$1,006,766
Pick 60.$979,879
Pick 92.$831,966
Pick 105.$818,073

Last edited:

Mescalero

What percentage of FBS and FCS players get drafted? What percent are LBs? I don't know and don't have the time to look it up.

sun

What percentage of FBS and FCS players get drafted? What percent are LBs? I don't know and don't have the time to look it up.
I only looked up the 11 linebackers in the article and didn't check the whole draft.
But some of those who don't get drafted get invited to summer camp as free agents and can either make the team or be selected for the practice squad.
Every team needs replacements, and linebackers with experience can end up wearing the radio helmet for the defense and calling the defensive signals for each down.
Linebackers also make a large percentage of tackles.

In football, there's 2 main defensive schemes the 4-3 defense and 3-4 defense.
"The 4-3 is the older defense of the two and is more thought of as the standard. It consists of four defensive linemen and three linebackers. In the 3-4 there are three defensive linemen and four linebackers. ... In a 3-4 defense, the pressure is mainly created from the backers."

The point is that every team needs 4 linebackers plus backups in case of injury during the game.
And if it's a serious injury then a team will need to call in a practice squad linebacker if they have one.
Or else the team needs to quickly sign a replacement linebacker from another team's practice squad.

The page below shows the salaries of all the linebackers in the NFL.
There's 294 of them listed.
The top 27 linebackers earn between $10 - $23.5 million per year.
The next highest paid group from #28 through #50 earn between $4 - $9 million per year.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

Where are the Vols fans?
Considering the number of vols players that got picked for the NFL and the lower picks at 77th and pick 226 might have had alot to do with it. LOL

I would think if they had say 12 first round draft picks drafted they would be all over this.

Last edited:

Eli103

My lungs are to bad to play football lol. I'm fast for only 1 and a half minutes. And I'm not that fat ok. Only like 145 and I'm 5 foot 7 lol

Mescalero

Considering the number of vols players that got picked for the NFL and the lower picks at 77th and pick 226 might have had alot to do with it. LOL

I would think if they had say 12 first round draft picks drafted they would be all over this.
No team had 12 (Bama and OSU tied with 10 drafted and Bama had 6 go first round tying 2002 or 03 Miami). Trey Smith went late because of health concerns. Josh Palmer should be good. I'm no Vol fan, but they've got some talent.

Latest posts