• Help Support TNDeer:

NFA trust for suppressor

AlabamaSwamper

I’m probably confusing myself here so bare with me

when u purchase a trust, what steps do the trustees you list have to go through?

I’m buying the trust at a separate place than the suppressor of that helps. Trying to be as up to speed as I can be before I start this process.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

ttf909

Supporter
Go thru a dealer that is affiliated with silencer shop and buy online thru silencer shop if u are buying a commercially available suppressor. Silencershop offers the trust and the dealer has the kiosk that does all the necessary paperwork ,fingerprints and pic. Easiest way to go .

big 8s in Weakley county

Go thru a dealer that is affiliated with silencer shop and buy online thru silencer shop if u are buying a commercially available suppressor. Silencershop offers the trust and the dealer has the kiosk that does all the necessary paperwork ,fingerprints and pic. Easiest way to go .
Good info and they have a single shot trust that is supposed to be super easy to add and take people off of if you need to.

Bucket

I got mine in right before the changes took place, so none of the background stuff was required. I still think a trust is worth the hassle if you want anyone else to be able to use the suppressor without you present.

Wildcat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

Wildcat

Only in ease of passing in case of death.

This is the very reason I have one, otherwise I would have gone with just me getting one.

Remember this, it's the "trust" that "owns" the NFA items, not you. When you set up your trust YOU are the main "owner" of the trust and those named on the trust are also partners. The other partners can also use and carry said items. You will pick a main partner who will take over upon your death. Over your life, you CAN remove and add people to the trust. The trust can also "buy" and "own" other things but a lawyer would be best to explain this.

Right now I have 3 people listed in my trust and the trust "owns" several different items.

ttf909

Supporter
Own several nfa items
Some were done with trust before the new regulations. Some were just my name . Apparently it takes longer with the trust
This will not be used by anyone else. Does that make a difference in needing one?
If u are the only user it's not necessary, has an added expense and added time in nfa jail.

LanceS4803

Any NFA weapon on Form 1 or Form 4 can be transferred on a Form 5. It is usually handled by an attorney for the Executor of the Estate. It still requires prints, photos and application paperwork. I've only seen it done on an individual registration.

Good question on how that works with a Trust, as the Trust can't "die". I would assume since the weapon is registered to an entity, in this case a Trust, the other parties of the Trust just assume possession. Others more knowledgeable than me on Trusts can provide info on how to add/delete people from the Trust and how to transfer primary responsibility of the Trust.

Some interesting reading:
Form 5 to a Trust

Form 5 Walk Through

hillbillyfab

Just wanted to add how things have changed for the better. When I did my trust we got finger printed at the local sheriff's office, in the booking department. My wife did not like that experience as we were among "jail trustees". She was a nervous wreck to say the least. I've used silencer shop for the last couple purchases as it's just too convenient to place an order from my lazy boy. I uploaded my trust to them when they first came out and have everything on file now. Other than the wait time it's pretty harmless going that route.

AlabamaSwamper

I’ve about decided to file individual and let my wife decide if I go first. I’ll just keep her informed on what to do.

apparently a living will is just as good as the trust at the end of the day. Worst case she’ll be out an extra $100 at today’s prices.

LanceS4803

I have recently done a couple of Form 1s, using e-file.
Just got one back: 1 month exactly from time of electronic submission to approval.

Other than e-filing, the biggest change has been the ability to take, and sign, your own fingerprints. As a LEO, I find that surprising.

MUP

Supporter
I've been told that our local shooting range, Dead Zero Shooting Range to be exact, will walk you thru the process, and, you can come see your baby and take a stroll with it while onsite, until the papework comes back and you can take it home. :D

AlabamaSwamper

My local shop is the same

i can use it on their range while I wait

i wanted to through the online deal but the closest kiosk is two hours away. My local shop was about $60 higher but probably worth it being right down the road and I can go tinker with it while I wait

Latest posts