Next Year Looking Good

ROVERBOY

I saw 4 LB's Sunday morning and 8 about 2 weeks ago. Don't know where these boys was back in the Spring. Worst season I've had since '09.

DoubleRidge

6 Tom's in plot this morning.... seeing plenty of turkey's this fall.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_101836281~2.jpg
    IMG_20221116_101836281~2.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 37

DoubleRidge

Saw quite a few yearling jennies and jakes this trip. Not sure if it was from the warm dry spring or the drastic decline in coyotes. For whatever reason (I suspect distemper) coyote populations have collapsed on my farms

Mega... interesting you mention coyotes...I haven't seen a single one while deer hunting this year....and have only gotten a couple on camera.
I think the neighbors have only killed one during archery season....so we too have far less coyotes than years past.

megalomaniac

Mega... interesting you mention coyotes...I haven't seen a single one while deer hunting this year....and have only gotten a couple on camera.
I think the neighbors have only killed one during archery season....so we too have far less coyotes than years past.
last year I shot at 6 different coyotes ML hunting (killed 3), then 2 more during rifle (killed 1). saw many more I couldn't get a shot on. Multiple packs howling in the evening. That's normal past 10 years. This year, only saw 2 (1 is now dead), very few on trail camera, and no packs howling in the evenings.

Been really good for the deer as well... have been running 10-20% fawn recruitment for years, but this year it's around 50-60%. We may get to start shooting does again next year if we get 2 consecutive years of fawn production.

Harold Money jr

I saw 12 longbeards in a field in Anderson County. Saw the usual 16 gobblers on my farm until right before deer season started. My roane county farm has 8 gobblers running around at times, mostly on the neighbors property through the day.

Henry

A farm about a mile away has turkey that can be seen from the road year round...kind of envious. Had a few on the edge of our 200 acres in the spring and a few after hatching, but have not seen any in a couple months. Did have a coyote barking at me Saturday morning about 30 feet away when I was heading back to the 4wheeler. I couldn't see it in the briar patch, but it moved away from me per the rustling in the brush. Not hearing the howling packs like we did last year so glad about that.
Interesting article on coyotes: https://blog.michael-martinez.com/why-killing-coyotes-does-not-work/