NEW Turkey

C1295

I am new too Turkey, never killed one before never even went turkey hunting. But! I have seen so many this deer season, that I would like to give it a shot this spring any pointers or things I should get would be much appreciated! (My luck come spring wont see any) šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£

Remington700

A lot of times you do not see them in the same places in the spring as in winter. Start practicing calling and reading the forum/ watching some YouTube videos. You should be ready to give it a shot come spring.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Will be a good idea to listen for gobbles and scout for sign in late March and early April (which is when the opener used to be, but with that being rolled back two weeks, it should be the perfect time to hear birds). That'll help you figure out where they are and eliminate other places.

C1295

A lot of times you do not see them in the same places in the spring as in winter. Start practicing calling and reading the forum/ watching some YouTube videos. You should be ready to give it a shot come spring.
thank you Sir. What kind of calls should I use? there are so many different ones.

Remington700

thank you Sir. What kind of calls should I use? there are so many different ones.
That is something you will have to figure out. I prefer a friction call and mouth call. Some like box and push pin. You will have to experiment and see what works for you.

C1295

Don't start turkey hunting. Take up a healthier habit like cigarettes, crack, or gambling.

Be ready to give everything else up in your life for 6 weeks once you hear that first gobble so close that it shakes the ground. I don't get to go as much as I'd like due to the distance to my hunting lease but would every day if I could.
I am ready lol

Wrangler95

Since you have never turkey hunted,I would recommend a good box call.They are the easiest and quickest to learn,A friction call like a slate are also easy to learn.The mouth calls and wing bone calls take a quite a bit of practice!Good luck this spring!

Kelljp

I'm not renewing my NWTF membership after 25 years for reasons too long to list here, but if I was recommending help for a new turkey hunter, I'd recommend joining the local NWTF chapter near you. You will find members near you that as a rule will give you a lot of good information. Lookup "Cane Creek Calls" Doug sells quality calls and has a lot of instructional information posted. It's worse than drugs, you'll spend every spare dollar if you get the fever. Good luck !

huvrman

Start hunting before the season, but don't take a gun. Watch a few videos and master the Yelp on a box call. Get out before dawn late March. Listen for birds. once you find them, go back in a day or so, listen for birds, and ease to within 100 yards, still before daylight (just when it is light enough for you to see to walk.). The closer the better but not so close you get seen. Sit down and just sit, watch, and listen. Pay attention to hen calls and the response of the gobblers. Watch and listen for the fly down. Sit tight and just let the birds be birds. After a few days of understanding the birds, try the same thing above but add a Yelp series of your own at daylight to see if you can get a roosted bird to respond. Once he does, don't call again. Wait and see what he does at fly down. If he hits the ground and gobbles a few times, then get out of dodge at the first opportunity without spooking him. Go back in a day or 2 just to confirm they are still roosting in the area. Enjoy the comms, but don't call yourself. You've already proven you can get a bird to answer so no need to do it again preseason. Head back opening day with your gun. Locate, stalk, sit, call once, enjoy response, wait til fly down. Now, what you and he does after hitting the ground opening day are too many scenarios to cover, so I'll leave that to your study and research. But the pattern I've described to you is what i do every year preseason. It not only lets me figure out where the roosting areas are, but confirms gobblers are in the area and fired up. Bottom line, take an incremental approach to studying the birds and learning the art, but never spook the birds preseason. If you do spook them, make sure it is during the season, with gun in hand. Good luck.

Latest posts