New turkey hunter. Needs advice on chokes

swd

I have a Mossberg 535 12 gauge. I am planning to try my hand at turkey hunting for the first time this spring. I am looking for suggestions on chokes for this gun. Is the full choke I already have good enough, or do I need to get something else?

Thanks!

ROVERBOY

Shoot it first and see what you think. 835 guns shoot great with the right choke and loads. You might decide you want another choke though.

ROVERBOY

Theres some really good chokes on the market but, some are pretty expensive. I personally like a tighter choke.

swd

Andy S.":28ab5qgv said:
We really need more info. Type of shells, size shot, type of shot, hunting woods/fields, maximum shot distance, etc.

I have never hunted turkeys, so there is more that I do not know than that I do know.

The 535 has a 3.5" chamber. From what I gather, some choke/shell combinations allow shots out to 60+ yards. I do not believe it would be ethical for me to consider any shot greater than 35 yards at this point in the game. The areas I hunt have both open fields and wooded areas, so I plan to hunt both. I have no idea what shells I would be using. I do not plan to start out with any of the crazy alloy or mixed shot size loads. Just something simple I think. If I decide this is something I enjoy, I can always get more specialized in the seasons to come. That said, is #4 shot a pretty common load for turkeys? I could easily see doing 2.75" shells with #4, #5, or #6 if that fits the job. I am open to larger shells though if that is a better fit for turkeys.

Again, I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

REN

my advice to a majority of these types of questions are fit the choke to the type of shells you want to plan on shooting. TSS #9 for example generally work better with certain type of chokes vs lead #4 or Hevi Shot.

Find the type of shells you want to shoot and then start matching the choke options to that.

woodsman04

All depending on how much you want to spend and how much time you want to put in it.

I think the Winchester long beards are great lead shells, maybe a little tight inside 25 yards but in my experience normal turkey yugos are from 25-35 yards if you set up right.
I think any basic cheaper extra full choke with some longbeard 6s would do fine out to 40-45 yards, maybe 50.
As far as shot sizes, pick what you want, but in always partial to 6s and sometimes 5s. I don't know why, I don't like 4s but they do the job just as well.
Shell length, I'd shoot the biggest magnum possible that you can handle. But, there is No shame in not wanting to shoot 2-1/4oz, 3-1/2" 12 gauge shells. 1-3/4oz to 1-7/8 oz 3" shells are perfect for turkeys. Also, if you want to use 2-3/4" shells, go for it. During my early years I used a Remington 1100 improved cylinder barrel with whatever magnum 2-3/4" 4s or 6s the store had. Shot a lot of turkeys at 30-35 yards with it. Looking back would I want to shoot one that far with that gun now days? No not really.

Just remember, it doesn't take super TSS from a big 12 with a 90$ choke or fancy light weight 20 gauge with a 200$ red dot with TSS and a expensive choke to kill a turkey.
Just get a good shot gun and a decent choke, some Winchester longbeards or whatever you want. Shoot a few shots at a target at about 30-35 yards and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

I have the 535 with an Indian Creek choke and shoot Winchester longbeard 3" and good really good patterns.
Just hold on to that bad boy it kicks like a mule.

Andy S.

To OP, if you limit shots to 35 yards, shoot your factory full, hold the bead on the wattles, and you'll kill him. I'd get a few 35" x 35" sheets of paper and shoot your shells of choice at 35 yards to ensure point of aim (POA) is same as point of impact (POI), in other words, POA=POI. Make sure you have gun, choke and shells you plan to hunt with, and you shoot from exact hunting position (sitting on ground with arm on knee, etc). You want to replicate how you plan to sit/shoot in the woods.

If you are in SW TN, I can help you with any testing you want to do. Just shoot me a PM.

swd

Thanks to all! I will be getting things together to do some testing towards the end of February and report back. Good luck out there!

TheLBLman

swd":31sdcklc said:
I have a Mossberg 535 12 gauge. I am planning to try my hand at turkey hunting for the first time this spring.
Is the full choke I already have good enough, or do I need to get something else?
IMO, and especially among less experienced turkey hunters,
more turkeys are missed because of too much choke rather than a more open choke.

If you are not using optical sights, no way would I recommend a tighter choke than your current full.

Realize you cannot plan and be perfect for every possible circumstance,
but most turkeys that provide a good opportunity, will provide that opportunity under 40 yards, maybe even under 30 if you're not too impatient.
You might actually fare better (go home with more birds) using a more open choke.

I've called up & killed a lot of turkeys over several decades.
Average range has been about 24 yards.
And it's tremendously more fun to have them up close when you pull the trigger.

Spend your choke money on #9 TSS loads.
These will give you the extra range of a little tighter choke,
without sacrificing the larger pattern you currently have,
which helps insure you don't miss a bird that's under 30 yards.

Latest posts