New to me

eddie c

On another site it was announced that a bowyer had passed away and his collection was being sold by his family. Maurice Cash was the gentleman. His bows are ASL styles with straight grip. Since I have only shot one straight grip bow one time and didn't like it I didn't really pay attention to them. Since that day I've found out that tuning has a lot to do with the hand shock. I thought I would give it another try. Well the USPS so kind enough to lose and destroy the first bow, I gave the family the option of mailing me another one instead of refunding my money. Most of the bows were heavy poundage and my shoulder doesn't like heavy poundage so I picked a 44#@24, 62" bow. My hand held scale said it's 52# at my draw. I got to shoot it Saturday. I have some tuning to do. Plus I didn't take into consideration the grip size. It may be too short for me.
Got cut by the feathers a couple of times.

eddie c

Laserman1":1o1sdi2j said:
Nice looking bow. Did you ever get rid of the dan quillian came break you sent me to try? Way too much poundage for my shoulder.
I must have because I don't have it and I don't remember it. Lol it was probably too much for me also. I've found 50_55 is my max that I can consistently shoot.

I still have to play around with this bow. Grip is different. Probably won't concentrate on it until after deer season is over.

eddie c

I got out and shot this bow some more yesterday. I used full length GT3555 with 175gr tips. flight was good for the most part. I think I will play with the nock height some more. not there yet. nocks are a little tight on the serving also. going to try a thinner serving or string material.

eddie c

Yes but don't claim to be an expert. Been using B50 or 55 mainly because most of the bows I've had were not FF compatible.
The old string is 12 strand with mono serving. I made another 12 strand but with braided serving. The nocks are too loose (GTs). I swapped nocks with Easton's and those worked better. I shot again this morning and things were better. Well better as long as I didn't pluck the string.lol

southernhunter

I don't understand ( fully ) terms like endless loop , Flemish twists , Dacron ect . I know some guys the swear by a Flemish twist B -50 but I have a Flemish twist fast flight. I am guessing it's the style of string with different materials?

eddie c

Flemish twist is how it's made, twisting the strands together. it can be done with any type of string. a 12 strand Flemish has 12 individual strands of string.
endless loop is like what is on compound bows, the loops are served just like the middle is served. endless loop is one continuous string looped around the jig then tied off and served.
dacron has more stretch and give. FF has basically none. Flemish has more give than endless.

some want Flemish because it looks more old style or "traditional'. some of the older bows don't have reinforced tips to handle the no-stretch characteristics of FF and need to use the Dacron (B50/B55). if the tip cant handle the FF, the tip can break off at the shot.

eddie c

I had some issues on FB and some relatives had some bigger issues a while back. I left and haven't been back. or missed the issues.

Grill-n-man

eddie c, on them 12 strands with loose nock fit serving with a .025 diameter should fix that or if don't want to buy more serving use filler strands of string material woven in to build up center should get you the fit your after. 2-4 pieces depending on fit. Using them fillers will let you fine tune the fit to exactly what you looking for more so than just serving. It's a trial and error thing to figure out what and how works best for you but can keep you from fighting with nock fit and having different serving sizes around.

eddie c

didn't think about filler string. :super: thanks. I was going to make a 14 strand. I will play around with your suggestion on one of those rainy weekends when I can't do anything better. :mrgreen:

Grill-n-man

On 14 or 16 strand I use a .021 center serve material and that seems to generally work on most nocks. On those fillers, if your center is served 8in cut the fillers at least 10in I generally do around 11 or 12 just to be sure I got plenty to work with. And I like to leave around 1in ( call it a tag end ) farther past where I start serving then serve center. When done I just cut the extra hanging out off right at the serving ends.

Latest posts