New( to me) smokeless

NChunt1

As you guys might have seen I just recently purchased the sml package from fairchaser off the classifieds. Really excited to get it and start testing he has some h4198 with it and from what I read it is about the standard powder choice for most builds. Now I'm looking at the different bullets, I have figured out I will need a sizing die and press, I think I might get the lee hand press and put hankins sizing die on it. I have no clue what bullet to start with I have seen the following recommend, Pittman, fury and Barnes tez so I may try some of those and possibly test with a wool or veggie wad. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be a good starting point. He was shooting with a Hornady SST with a sabot but I think I would like to get away for the sabot and got direct fit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jcalder

You might can get a Parker BE to go down the barrel without a die. Lots of people like the sst. Smokeless guns probably push them hard enough, but I think the bullet itself is hard. Fury seems to be a bargain. I shoot mostly fury. Pittman bullets seem to be the accurate bullet. Arrowhead also sells bullets, which look a lot like the Pittman offerings. If you're close to cookeville, I'll give you some sst

ADR

My apex has a different plug than yours but same barrel. It shoots barnes tez's unsized (they fit perfect unsized) over a veggie wad and 60 grains h4198. You will soon learn different breech plugs and ignition sources build pressure differently.

There are also a lot of unique things to SMZ. For example if a primer goes off and doesn't ignite your powder charge, ALWAYS repack your load in the barrel. Not doing so can be disastrous, or so I've been told.

Oked

I shoot a fury star tip 2 in my converted apex and I size them . I have had great luck with them . A friend shoots Pittman's and they shoot amazing but don't hit the shoulder at close range or they come apart.

Latest posts