New (to me) Bow & New to Bow Hunting

jlmustain

I was on GunBroker.com and put a bid of $180 on an Elite Archery E-500 with a trigger, 3 broadheads, 3 target arrows, and all the bow attachments. I figured I'd be outbid in no time, but I wasn't and it's now in my garage. The guy I bought it from bought it from another guy, and he said he wanted to get in to bow hunting, but he never did and it was just sitting around. From what I can tell, it was a pretty good deal, but heck, I don't know because I don't know much about archery. I do know that it's got a 70 lb draw weight, and it's tough as crap for me to draw it with any semblance of steadiness.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I make any adjustments to lower the draw weight?
2. Would I clear enough selling it to get something decent with a lower draw weight?
3. If I'm stuck with it, what all needs to be done in terms of upkeep and maintenance to make sure it's ready to go?

I know that's probably a lot, but I don't know anyone, personally, who can help me.

Thanks, y'all!

TNDeerGuy

Re: New (to me) Bow & New to Bow Hunting

You got a pretty sweet deal and congrats for getting into the world of archery!

There is a limb bolt where the limb meets the riser�that is where you adjust draw weight. Turn it out to lower the poundage and turn it in to raise the poundage. Turn both bolts equal turns and no more than 5 complete turns to each one�that should get you near 60lbs or so.

You got a pretty good deal,and I kinda doubt that you will get a better one if you sell it.

If you want to bring it to me and I'll go over everything with you, check your draw length, bow timing, make adjustments if needed, etc...

jlmustain

Man, thank you! I'd love to bring it by some time. I'm still learning how to navigate this forum, and I'd imagine that phone numbers and private info' is prohibited in the public threads. How do I get my info' to you, or yours to me so we can meet up?

fasteddie

Awesome deal. Like TnDeerguy saidit will go down to around 60 pounds. You got a heck of a deal. I would keep it personally for the deal you got on such a sweet shooting bow. Give TNDeer Guy a shout and he will hook you up.

jlmustain

fasteddie, thanks, buddy! Since this is my first year deer hunting, I've spent a truckload on gear. I've been a fisherman and small game hunter almost all my life, but I've never gone after deer, and I've never used a bow. I don't know if it's realistic or not (because I don't know how long it takes to get good with a bow), but I'd love to be able to bow hunt for turkey in March. And if it's reasonable to think I could have enough knowledge/skill in the next week or a little longer, I have an AL deer license, and I'd like to close the season out with a bow down there.

All that to say, I don't think it would sit well with my wife if I spent more money on deer gear, and if 60 lb isn't light enough, I may have to sell it to have the money to make a switch. Of course, not knowing what drawing 60 lb feels like, I'd love to keep it if I can draw smoothly enough for deer hunting stealth.

My gut feeling is that I won't be confident enough in a week or two to take it deer hunting, but surely by March, with enough practice, I should be able to offer a carbon injection to a gobbler!

jlmustain

Ok, well, I finally lowered the draw weight, and wow! What a difference! Before, I looked like I was trying to poop a recliner. Now, my first time to ever shoot a bow, I hit the target within 4 inches of where I was aiming every time I shot. Granted, I was only standing 20 yards away, but hey, I'm a beginner! I'm pretty stoked.

TNDeerGuy

jlmustain said:
Ok, well, I finally lowered the draw weight, and wow! What a difference! Before, I looked like I was trying to poop a recliner. Now, my first time to ever shoot a bow, I hit the target within 4 inches of where I was aiming every time I shot. Granted, I was only standing 20 yards away, but hey, I'm a beginner! I'm pretty stoked.

Great Job! Before you get too much further into it, I highly recommend getting with someone you know that is an experienced archer so you can get started with proper form and technique so you don't start developing bad habits from the start.

jlmustain

Good call. Thanks for the PM, too. I'll be calling you next week. Was going to call this week, but Pink Eye and a double ear infection decided to take over my 10-month-old. I have enough time to hit the back yard for a bit, but I didn't have enough time to run to MJ.

I've been watching Heartland Bowhunter forever, and finally putting a few practice arrows on target let me know that I'm hooked!

Latest posts