New Smokless

tn gunman

New Smokless, I just got this thing together, I'm headed to Kansas the last week in September for their Muzzleloader season, and this is going to be my long range set up, it's an Arrowhead Obsidian action setting in a Mesa Precision carbon fiber stock with a Brux 26" #17 heavy varmint profile 5" shank with spiral fluting whole gun has been finished in black nitride. This gun was built with magnum charges in mind for long range shooting it weighs a little bit over 12 pounds. I'll be shooting it this week for the first time sighting it in and shooting out to 500 for sure maybe 600 not sure yet we'll see how it goes. I'll be shooting a 300g Arrowhead xld bullet over somewhere around 100-105 grains of H4895 I also have some 325g and 350g xlds not sure if I want the recoil of those heavier bullets or not well see how bad it is, I'll also be running a Silencerco Hybrid 46M supressor on it as soon as it gets out of NFA jail that's why is has the silencerco ASR brake on it instead of a traditional style brake, I've been shooting Smokless since 2013 but I've never had a setup this radical or attempted to shoot a muzzleloader this far my goal is to be able to shoot 500 yards I'll be Hunting crop fields most likely Milo fields and I'll be shooting off a tripod.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_213840592.jpg
    IMG_20220613_213840592.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 113

hillbillyfab

Oh yea I like that. Reading your post is like reading my own notes. I too have a 46M can in jail. June of this year has been a year since the fed's cashed my check. I'm hoping I have mine for this year's muzzie season to use on our smokeless rifle.

Andy S.

Great firearm, best of luck in Kansas. When shooting 400+ yards with a 300 grain bullet, practice A LOT and pray for ideal weather and wind conditions at the moment of truth. Keep us posted on how things go in Kansas.

jlanecr500

Don't own a 45 besides 45-70 conversions any more. Since I built a couple 40 cals, I havent looked back. I do, however remember pressure testing 350gr projectiles with large loads of 4350 in the neighborhood of 150gr. Even in my 19.5 pound pressure test gun, it would get your full attention. I think I'd settle on the 300gr bullet / h4895 load you mentioned. It is said to be very temp stable and accurate. I highly advise the use of a dry wool wad. Happy hunting.

fairchaser

I'd love to see what your groups look like at 600. I hope you have at least a 20 MOA rail and a lot of scope travel. Nice looking rig. Good luck in Kansas.

tn gunman

I still haven't shot this muzzleloader yet, I thought my loading jag would work with my bullets, I should have checked it cost me over a week waiting on one that would. Took me a lot longer to get bullets sized to my liking as well. The heat, work, and my 2nd round of Covid this year, also slowed me down. I'm off quarantine today and off work for the next few days I'm going try to make it happen. I have dry wool, lubed wool, and fiber wads going to start with no wad and see how it groups if it shoots good I may not use a wad if it doesn't Im definitely going try the dry wool first. I didn't Draw in Kansas last year myself went into this years drawing with a preference point somewhere around 6000 didn't Draw last year. This muzzleloader has a 20 MOA Rail and Right now I have a hunting scope on it a Leupold VX5-HD 4-20 I have a tactical Nightforce NXS I'm sure has more travel I can rob off a rifle I hardly ever use if I need to. This alone would roughly add another pound to this setup. I remember reading about Bad Bull Muzzleloaders they specifically recommend that you use no less 130g and no more than 140g of IMR 4350. I know that it's a slower burning powder than the H 4895 that I plan on useing and I'm sure that's how they get away with using that large of a charge without over pressureing those rifles but there is no way even with the best brake available, that those rifles with that amount of powder don't kick the living crap out of whoever is shooting them they look like sub 10 pound hunting rifles but I don't have a clue what they actually weigh in at.