New Rifle Question!

Wrangler95

Thanks for your advice.I will shoot about a box of varmit rounds and then clean the barrel and go from there!BTW,the gun is a Savage Axis 11 in 223 caliber!

Specializedjon

Wrangler, if we're talking about a $8K precision rifle the "break in" is much different. For your Savage, I'd say less than a box. You'll always have your "cold bore shot" with a hunting rifle. If it were me, I'd get to know how your rifle behaves at different temperatures so you can adjust for that 1st shot. You're not going to have the luxury of warming up your barrel while hunting. I wouldn't worry about your break in period. Focus on that cold bore behavior and you'll be fine. My .243 shoots about 1-2 MOA high on my first shot. If I need to take a follow up shot I adjust my hold, not the scope.

My $.02

DaveTN

This is on the Savage Website FAQ's..............

Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

Fire one round

Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore

Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)

Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)

Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore

Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore

STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

Fire a 3 shot group

Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group

STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

Fire a 5 shot group

Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1

They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

Specializedjon

This is on the Savage Website FAQ's..............

Although there may be different schools of thought on barrel break-in, this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends:

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

Fire one round

Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore

Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore

Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore

STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

Fire a 3 shot group

Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group

STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

Fire a 5 shot group

Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1

They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

After reading this, I smell a lawyer 🤨 or a retired guy with WAAAY too much time on his hands.

Holy smokes (pun intended). I fail at barrel break-in's

DaveTN

After reading this, I smell a lawyer 🤨 or a retired guy with WAAAY too much time on his hands.

Holy smokes (pun intended). I fail at barrel break-in's
What??? So all your rifles have been used with no barrel break-in? That's crazy!
qu5ulRQ.gif

I've done that break-in procedure every time I got a new rifle…. at least twice!
5edAXCI.gif

Specializedjon

What??? So all your rifles have been used with no barrel break-in? That's crazy!
qu5ulRQ.gif

I've done that break-in procedure every time I got a new rifle…. at least twice!
5edAXCI.gif
Correct, kinda. Most of my hunting rifles are old or I've bought them used. In fact, all of them.

Most have several hundred rounds down the pipe. I clean them regularly and all shoot lights out.

DaveB

Okay, 25 grains of H335 for the lighter bullets===55, 60, 62, or 70 gr bullet is what we shoot. The 60 gr Partition is a favorite along with the 70 Grain Accubond.
or
24.5 grains of Shooters World Tactical Rifle which we use for 55 and 62 only.

You'll probably find the 223 chamber is TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT--ours are loaded long by .013 over SAAMI spec.

Ours is accurate enough to cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 first serious day at the range.

We did break in sighting the scope on Day 1.

If you want, cut a loop (i did it in 1/4 loop segments) and get the trigger pull down.
SAM_0255.JPG

Get a Boyds thumbhole laminate or AT, it is not only pretty, it actually helps with your accuracy.

Wrangler95

Okay, 25 grains of H335 for the lighter bullets===55, 60, 62, or 70 gr bullet is what we shoot. The 60 gr Partition is a favorite along with the 70 Grain Accubond.
or
24.5 grains of Shooters World Tactical Rifle which we use for 55 and 62 only.

You'll probably find the 223 chamber is TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT--ours are loaded long by .013 over SAAMI spec.

Ours is accurate enough to cloverleaf 5 rounds at 100 first serious day at the range.

We did break in sighting the scope on Day 1.

If you want, cut a loop (i did it in 1/4 loop segments) and get the trigger pull down. View attachment 133395

Get a Boyds thumbhole laminate or AT, it is not only pretty, it actually helps with your accuracy.

Beautiful gun!!

DaveB

OKAy folks--Some 70 grain accubond results

Here is H322. to me, this is not good enough
Bolt223_70gr.JPG

so I tried out some of my Tactical Rifle and am thinking we will stay with this one. The first 4 loads of Tac Rif were not so good and I gave up but came back because I cannot let DA get tooo far ahead of me with these babies.

Bolt223_TacRifle.JPG

Latest posts