New reloader/dumb question

Pinwheeled

I was loading up some rounds for my 7mm08 last night and ran in to what I imagine is a dumb question. The 120gr TTSX I was loading all weighed roughly 125 grains. I'm guessing that is largely the polymer tip? My question was... So when i plug this load in to a ballistics calculator, do I use the actual weight of 125gr or the advertised weight of 120gr? I was leaning toward the actual weight. I did a quick google search but did not find anything. Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADR

Re: New reloader/dumb question

I'd be tempted to plug it in both ways. I don't see that much variance having significant ballistic effect under 600 yards

Jcalder

5 grains seems awful heavy from a quality control aspect. I'd give Barnes a call and measure them to make sure they didn't mislabel the box.

To answer your question I'd go with the average weight of them. But most likely your bc will be skewed

fairchaser

Use the manufacturer measurements, bc's and weights and then verify with your app based on actual results at long ranges. Each set up will produce slightly different results and the only way to determine actual is to shoot at range and then back into the variables that are unknown. I use StrelokPro and it can do most anything.

DaveB

Urban_Hunter said:
That's very surprising. My 95gr ttsx 6.8/277 all weighed between 95.0 and 95.1. I decided I'd sort them by tenths of grain but soon realized it was a waste of time[/quotE

^^^Same Experience^^^^

Your scale may be set wrong.

Pinwheeled

treefarmer":3a85kuo7 said:
Double check the accuracy of your scale with a different brand of bullet.

My scale is a small hornady electronic and comes with a 10 gram calibration weight. I calibrated before I started and it said it passed. My broadheads and other archery components have been right on the money so far so I'm assuming it's okay [emoji2371]

mr.big

I have those scales and man they are picky,,,if the central unit comes on or something they can go really haywire,,

Pinwheeled

treefarmer":2rexpbh5 said:
Double check the accuracy of your scale with a different brand of bullet.

I did just this a bit ago. I had some 120gr Nosler BT's laying around so I figured I would check. Those came in at 118. Tried the TTSX again and those also said 118 instead of 125. I followed the same calibration routine as I did when I loaded my cases last night so I'm pretty worried. I took apart one of my finished cartridges. I loaded them with 44gr of Varget or so I thought. When I weighed the charge tonight, I got 42.3...

I think I'll be in the market for a new scale

Pinwheeled

mr.big":3bu3c3j0 said:
I have those scales and man they are picky,,,if the central unit comes on or something they can go really haywire,,

Interesting. Could you recommend a decent scale I wouldn't have to give an arm and a leg for?

FTG-05

Pinwheeled":36bf9yny said:
mr.big":36bf9yny said:

Interesting. Could you recommend a decent scale I wouldn't have to give an arm and a leg for?

Dillon's Eliminator:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-s-eliminator-scale_8_7_25215.html

Dillon-Web-Cat_0046.jpg

fairchaser

RandyinTN":39veuduc said:
I wouldn't trust any electronic scale. All the ones I have owned can get finicky and start to "drift" whenever the mood, lighting, or climate changes.

I have the RCBS chargemaster and I have found the scale to be accurate within .01 grains. I double weigh my loads. After the chargemaster throws a load, I weigh it with my balance beam scale and it's always been within the tolerance advertised FYI. I've never found it to drift. I double weigh just because I'm loading for match competition and want to be sure.

Urban_Hunter

fairchaser":oag0tcgn said:
RandyinTN":oag0tcgn said:
I wouldn't trust any electronic scale. All the ones I have owned can get finicky and start to "drift" whenever the mood, lighting, or climate changes.

I have the RCBS chargemaster and I have found the scale to be accurate within .01 grains. I double weigh my loads. After the chargemaster throws a load, I weigh it with my balance beam scale and it's always been within the tolerance advertised FYI. I've never found it to drift. I double weigh just because I'm loading for match competition and want to be sure.

X2

I spot check about every 5th charge or so. I've never once found it to be off. Sometimes with stick powders it will over throw, but the alarm goes off every time... just dump back in the hopper and charge a new load

Latest posts