Food Plots New plot

cecil30-30

I have probably a small 2-3 acre field that horse shoes around my house. It has been cut for hay for many years, I have no intention on fooling with hay. I was going to just keep it mowed as I do my yard. We always have deer in the yard and said field. Doesn't look like nothing special in the field, has alot of sage in it. I was wanting to plant something in the back end of it that would benifit and draw the deer. Really don't want to have to replant every fall and spring, is there anything that's a perennial that you would recommend? I was going to try to find someone with a sprayer and spray it in the spring and then take our tractor with a 5ft tiller on it and lighty till it and sow clover real heavy. But not sure how good the soil has to be for clover. Any help or tips is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

foodplot

I like to plant clover in the fall mixed with wheat...the wheat will grow really fast and somewhat keep the deer satisfied while the clover has a chance to establish...the wheat will die off the next summer, you can plant in the spring i have just had better luck planting in the fall.....if you don't plan on getting a soil test i would at least lime the fields....however i am a firm believer in a soil test..if you do as recommended you will see a difference and it will be more attractive to deer.

Grnwing

Sounds like you are heading the right direction with clover. I would recommend getting a soil sample and get started if you want to do a spring planting to get it established before the heat of summer burns it up. I would also look for an area of the plot that may have a little shade from the summer sun.

Latest posts