New Mexico elk

tree_ghost

quite a long shot but the misses and I are both entered for the archery hunt in the Gila….anyone on here ever gotten lucky enough to draw a tag?

Attachments

• 9E44F7AD-B8CF-4E7E-9AAC-D053D4DC4C8C.png
    9E44F7AD-B8CF-4E7E-9AAC-D053D4DC4C8C.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 66

fairchaser

I've got a brother living nearby so I could stop there for a visit. It would be an epic hunt. Would you DIY or hire an outfitter?

Hduke86

By George I'm gonna have to be a lucky S.O.B to draw it. My luck momma will draw the tag and I'll get to hump all the gear around lol
Someone has to win and without a outfitter dang only 6% go to nonresident draw. Numbers aren't much better if contracted with an outfitter at only 10%. I like to toss my name into the hat for states like NM for the simple reason that IT COULD HAPPEN. It's not like you go into it KNOWING a hunt is 10 years away 🤣

tree_ghost

Someone has to win and without an outfitter dang only 6% go to nonresident draw. Numbers aren't much better if contracted with an outfitter at only 10%. I like to toss my name into the hat for states like NM for the simple reason that IT COULD HAPPEN. It's not like you go into it KNOWING a hunt is 10 years away 🤣
Exactly! I know a couple guys who have gotten lucky multiple years in other units. So we will see what happens in a couple months.

tree_ghost

I've got a brother living nearby so I could stop there for a visit. It would be an epic hunt. Would you DIY or hire an outfitter?
I'm really leaning toward hiring a local guide. It's just not the place I'd want to risk the tag "learning" how to elk hunt with it being so rare to draw. Plenty of chance to DIY in other states.

ThorThor

I was drawn for non res unguided draw ( 6 percent ). archery elk in a gila unit last year had a great hunt ate my tag by choice trying to kill a 350 plus, and my cousin drew a different gila archery elk unit this year. With the snow and rain over the winter it should incredible for antler growth. Ya stop applying, great idea. Someone has to draw.
I have elk hunted on draw tags about every other year. Have to shotgun those apps out there !!! It is not getting easier to draw. The license is not even a tank of gas anymore $70 something and you get you tag money back on your card in a month after apps are due. It's cheaper than a dang sportsman license.

Vol Hunter

Drew a rifle tag about 15 years ago. Unfortunately there was record heat with forest fires everywhere. Tough hunting but managed to kill a 280 six point on the fourth day of the hunt.

AT Hiker

What are NM's ML restrictions? Scopes? Sabots? Smokeless? Caliber?
Depends on which hunt code. If it's any firearm, then you can essentially use any muzzleloader.
If it's a muzzleloader hunt then it's basically iron sights and no smokeless powder.
If it's a restricted muzzleloader hunt then it's round balls, iron sights and black powder.

BPhunter

We live and hunt in Colorado. Word has it that Colorado has the biggest elk herds. But, I would love to hunt northern NM, always seen more elk there.
Good luck tree-ghost, they're big and delicious.

Latest posts