New Cookware

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
It doesn't look like this forum is used much ? The time has come to replace our Cookware. With all the changes in Technology. I'm starting to research what type of Cookware I'm going to replace ours with. Looking for input The Good and The bad ??

TAFKAP

It doesn't look like this forum is used much ? The time has come to replace our Cookware. With all the changes in Technology. I'm starting to research what type of Cookware I'm going to replace ours with. Looking for input The Good and The bad ??

In Memphis, there is a Williams Sonoma outlet that sells a lot of the high-quality brands at pretty discounted prices. That's where you'll find a wide variety of good stuff, and it weeds out some of the crap you see at Target, Macys, etc. Calphalon is a good brand for stainless pots & pans.

I wouldn't buy a "set" of anything. I hate most of the handles on anything you'll buy in a department store, and those sets usually have too much useless crap in them. For example, if everything about a pan is great, it's got a crappy big giant glass dome lid. If it's got a flat lightweight lid like I want, the handle sucks or it's got a weird curve to it.

If money is no object, buy (and learn how to use) the French enameled cast iron. I had a recent post about the LeCreuset customer service where basically we burned up the enamel lining in a big dutch oven, and they sent me a replacement for free. LeCreuset is probably the costliest stuff for a home kitchen, but it's very good quality. Lodge enameled cast iron is not Made in USA (china?).

Pick and choose the best of each item you want. If it's going to be set in a drawer, who cares about whether they match or not? Other considerations are whether you're cooking on an electric eye, glasstop, or gas flame. Cast iron can be used on glasstops, but there's a big risk of scratching or breaking.

Most home cooks can do everything they need with the following:
6 Quart (or bigger) Dutch oven (LeCreuset enameled)
10" Frying Pan (LeCreuset enameled or Lodge for plain cast iron)
10" skillet (LeCreuset enameled or Lodge for plain cast iron)
A stock pot about 8Qt - 12Qt in capacity (https://www.epicurious.com/expert-a...pot-for-all-of-your-big-boiling-needs-article)
3 soup pans of varying sizes

If you're cooking on glasstop, a good multi-metal bonded set of pans will work fine. Figure out which handles work best for you, and avoid the ones that have a giant glass lid. They're heavy and otherwise pointless.

TAFKAP

I like enameled stuff because it gives you all the benefits of cast iron, plus a smooth finish and much easier care. Soap and water cleans it up easily, it's about as non-stick as you can get without getting a teflon pan. With plain cast iron, it's not advisable to cook acidic foods or things that are tomato heavy. If you use enameled cast iron, it doesn't matter. You can also use (but not advisable) metal utensils in cast iron, although wood or silicone is better.

The bad: lightweight non-stick cookwear is just crap. The thin and flimsy pans are easy to overheat, and even if you are flawless in not overheating them, they'll end up eventually bubbling or peeling off the questionably safe nonstick lining. There is nothing made in non-stick that couldn't otherwise easily be done in a cast iron pan. If you require something for delicate non-stick work, consider maybe a small copper omelet pan....that's about the only thing I can think of that would require a truly nonstick surface. Non-stick for anything else just gives bad cooks a lazy crutch for improper cooking techniques.

If your meat sticks to the pan, you're likely cramming too much meat in, using too hot a flame, or not enough oil (or all three). Use butter in a cast iron pan, brown your meat in batches over medium heat, and allow it to brown enough to release on its own.

TAFKAP

The only thing high heat flame (or burner settings) should be used for is bringing a pot of water to boil. Beyond that, everything can be done at medium heat or lower.

When our enameled cast iron burned up, it was used on too hot a flame for too long. Medium heat is the highest you should use any pan. Take care to pre-heat them on low heat for 5 minutes as well, then add your oil/butter and take the heat up to medium.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Thank You all for such detailed information. I've cooked for about 50 years so I know how to . No chef but don't hear any complaint's.. A household of 2 so we don't really use much. Wish there was a store with a Kitchen that you could try stuff out in.

Latest posts