New Bowhunter

timberghost35

Looking for some advice, used to bow hunt a little bit, but tore my rotator cuff and had to put it away. I am looking at getting back into it due to having some free time every evening working 3rd shift. Mainly looking for advice on a new set up. Going to start from the ground up and buy literally everything from bow to release to arrows.

I'm not far from Shelby Forrest Archery and last time I bought a bow, it was from them. Thinking about just going and having everything set up down there. I have around $2000 put aside for everything. (Dont tell the wife)

You guys have nay recommendations as far as the new Mathews bows? Most of my hunting will be from treestands, but wont rule out a ground blind every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Shanman

I need to get a new one myself, but everything else keeps gobbling the funds up, has for years. One of the things that I personally think is really important with all the quality bows is to not get hung up on brand, that's going to be hard for me. I think what bhf stated above is great advice on finding one that fits you.

tree_ghost

I'm a bowtech man. I do my own tuning at home and IMO there isn't a cam system that can touch the OD bianary cams. I'll say this regardless of what manufacturer you choose…today's technology is insanely efficient at transferring minimal energy from the bow to the arrow. For instance my wife is shooting 42lb Realm SS w/ 415gr arrow at 265fps. She blew through the scapula of a quartering to 5.5yo buck last year no problem, using cut on contact heads. I say that to say this…don't re-injure yourself trying to pull a lot of weight trying to gain KE or FPS bows today ain't made like the used to be! And it's for the better!

Hduke86

I'm a bowtech man. I do my own tuning at home and IMO there isn't a cam system that can touch the OD bianary cams. I'll say this regardless of what manufacturer you choose…today's technology is insanely efficient at transferring minimal energy from the bow to the arrow. For instance my wife is shooting 42lb Realm SS w/ 415gr arrow at 265fps. She blew through the scapula of a quartering to 5.5yo buck last year no problem, using cut on contact heads. I say that to say this…don't re-injure yourself trying to pull a lot of weight trying to gain KE or FPS bows today ain't made like the used to be! And it's for the better!
Once I realized I didn't need to pull back 70lb-80lb to kill a deer the better I got. Not saying if you can pull back that much comfortably that it's a bad thing, I just wished I could comfortably but I sacrificed steadiness and smoothness in my draw. I'm not built to be pulling that much weight back at 6'1" and 150lbs it had my arms struggling and shaking lol

Latest posts