New boat, motor question.

Tenntrapper

I'm thinking of buying a new boat. Will most likely be a G3 1652, or maybe the 1548. My question is about the motors. I'm looking at the Yamaha 25 4-stroke and the Evinrude e-tec 30 2-stroke. The boat will be used year round, fishing and hunting. Does either one perform better in winter? Is starting in cold an issue with either? I'm not really sure what questions to ask, but just looking for opinions on overall performance. Thanks for any advice.

Andy S.

Yamaha outboard by far, especially in cold weather, and at least a 40HP for the 1652 setup, and preferably a 50HP. My .02

My coworker bought a 40HP Evinrude E-TEC 2-stroke and is has been in the shop more than it has been on the water. Not sure if his one data point is representative of the whole, but I would buy a Yamaha outboard regardless of knowing that.

I'd buy this Yamaha if I were you and serious about getting a quality motor for a good price.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=376135&p=4766054&hilit=yamaha#p4766054

Tenntrapper

Well, I went with the 1548 and the 25hp Yamaha. Going down in the morning to pay them, then it's off to rigging. Should be ready by end of week. I think the smaller boat will be alright for the daughter and I to fish and hunt with.

Tenntrapper

Well, this is where I'm starting. I won't see it again till it's done. I chose not to go with the dealer installed floor kit for the center section. I've talked with a local guy that can do it for about half the price. Just in case, does anyone have suggestions for flooring it? It's about a 4x6 area. Thanks

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Cut some of that blue Styrofoam type insulation to fit and cover it with a piece of black horse mat. One of my friends has that in his 1448 and it insulates well during duck season., keeps stuff up out of any water from spray running, and it deadens any noise from dropping things in the boat.

Tenntrapper

Tngunsmoke, are you saying he put the foam over the ribs, or filled in between them? I was already considering the horse mat for insulation, but it would be over a sheet of aluminum plate, secured over the ribs. Those ribs are pretty high, I don't want to be tripping over them. Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ronnycl

get a piece of advantech osb - from lowes. cut it to fit and forget about it. the advantech is waterproof & made with different glue. about $30 a sheet and will last multiple seasons left out in the weather. I have been happy so far!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Tenntrapper":3jueoune said:
Tngunsmoke, are you saying he put the foam over the ribs, or filled in between them? I was already considering the horse mat for insulation, but it would be over a sheet of aluminum plate, secured over the ribs. Those ribs are pretty high, I don't want to be tripping over them. Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
It's laid between the ribs and then the horse mat keeps the floor flush over the top.

Latest posts