New Antelope Rilfe Help

DeerCamp

Hands down the 6.5PRC. Do some ballistic comparisons with other cartridges. It Carrie's more energy past 600 yards than a 280 Ackley or 30-06 with a fair amount less recoil.
The rifle my brother built me is a 280 AI.

I know they pushed those 131g hammers at nearly 3400 fps in handloads.

But if your using factory, yes. 6.5PRC

megalomaniac

6.5 PRC w/o a doubt. Less wind drift with those crazy high BC 150's. Not many days in antelope country where there isn't a stiff breeze and just as many with 20mph winds it seems!

I really like my 6.5 WSM for an antelope rifle. Just a little bit faster than then 6.5 PRC

david k.

It doesn't take much to kill an antelope...I've killed several with my old Ruger M77 243....any of the rounds you're considering will smoke them.

On my first antelope hunt, in the early 1990's, I whiffed on a couple as well so I don't mean to be rude but what was the cause of your "pitiful shooting" last year?

My first several hunts were in the 'pre-rangefinder' days so, for me, it was a combination of range estimation and the lack of practice being able to get set up quickly enough to shoot prone using my back-pack as a rest. I was simply too slow getting set up and then I'd rush shots.

Good luck with it....I think there may be no hunting that is more fun than antelope.

gtk

Staff member
Good luck with it....I think there may be no hunting that is more fun than antelope.
I agree. I had more fun antelope hunting than I've had in a while. Was able to cover miles and miles, and expect to see animals at any time of day.

It doesn't take much to kill an antelope...I've killed several with my old Ruger M77 243....any of the rounds you're considering will smoke them.
I'm wanting something flat shooting and lightweight. My 270 is flat shooting but weighs a ton. My 243 is a single shot short barrel rifle and on loan to a youth. Everyone "needs" a new rifle. Its an investment.

On my first antelope hunt, in the early 1990's, I whiffed on a couple as well so I don't mean to be rude but what was the cause of your "pitiful shooting" last year?

My first several hunts were in the 'pre-rangefinder' days so, for me, it was a combination of range estimation and the lack of practice being able to get set up quickly enough to shoot prone using my back-pack as a rest. I was simply too slow getting set up and then I'd rush shots.
Wish i knew. I'm a decent shot, haven't missed a shot on game in years. I blame it on a combination of being excited, unsteady rest, incorrect yardage estimation (cheap range finder) , and walking miles and miles and being tired. Plus underestimating how small an antelope is at 300-400 yards.

ewc

I think many over think what it takes to kill.

3,400 fps doesn't mean squat to an animal. It does to your shoulder- and many develop a flinch.

Use a gun that's good to 300 and become a better hunter.

Most would laugh at what I'd suggest, but I routinely practice at 5-700 here at my house and it's very pleasant to shoot. And weighs in a little over 6.3 pounds with a Nightforce.

Good luck on your hunt-

REN

I mean if its just for Antelope then Id go 6.5PRC just due to its advantage on longer shots. If you plan to use it for other stuff 7mm-08 all day (my own personal favorite rifle)

Ammo cost sucks on the PRC though, however its a great round for LONG shot options on smaller game. Id never buy a 6.5CM when the 6.5PRC is an option.

Personally I think 7mm-08 is one of if not the best all around round out there for most any hunting. cost/recoil/accuracy/bullet options etc it just is a fantastic round to have.

gtk

Staff member
What is it???
i think he was referring to his comment 'use a gun thats good to 300 yds and become a better hunter" :)

every shot I had last year, but one, was > 300 yards. Average shot I would have been able to take would be 400 I'd guess.

as for the better hunter comment, not sure what he means. if he means get closer before shooting, i'd say he hasn't seen where I hunt ;)

ewc

i think he was referring to his comment 'use a gun thats good to 300 yds and become a better hunter" :)

every shot I had last year, but one, was > 300 yards. Average shot I would have been able to take would be 400 I'd guess.

as for the better hunter comment, not sure what he means. if he means get closer before shooting, i'd say he hasn't seen where I hunt ;)
I've actually killed at 650 with this rifle. So I doubt I'm undergunned. This little Kimber is approaching 80 kills. Biggest was 180 pound whitetail - flipped him. Dead right there.

An acquaintance once told me that bullets matter more than headstamps- totally spot on. And very wise advice.

People bow hunt antelope. You're saying you can't get within 80 yards?

😂

knightrider

I've actually killed at 650 with this rifle. So I doubt I'm undergunned. This little Kimber is approaching 80 kills. Biggest was 180 pound whitetail - flipped him. Dead right there.

An acquaintance once told me that bullets matter more than headstamps- totally spot on. And very wise advice.

People bow hunt antelope. You're saying you can't get within 80 yards?

😂
You ashamed to tell us what is?

Latest posts