Never seen this behavior before

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I have permission to hunt a small property near my house, the owner wants some of the deer removed as they are eating all of his landscaping. One of my wife's coworkers wanted some venison, and I wanted to use my 44 mag Marlin 1894 (iron sights) to take a deer. So when a small 6 point presented himself at about 40 yards, I took the shot. He went down like ton of bricks, 200 gr Hornady XTP reloads at about 1400 fps. No exit wound, but both lungs were disintegrated.

I didn't notice the other small buck, young 3 point following him until after I shot as the cover there is very thick and overgrown. The other buck didn't leave, he went maybe 20 yards, then stopped and while watching his fallen comrade, blew several alert whistles and stomped the ground. He then circled around in front of the down deer, and crept cautiously up to him. He nosed him a few times as if trying to push him to get him up. Appeared to lick the down deer's face. Circled a few more times, then came in from behind the carcass and kicked him several times trying to get him up. This went on for about 15 minutes or so. I think finally he must have smelled me, I was in a ground blind watching. He stiff leg trotted off into the thicket.

I have seen does hang around before, even bed down in the area of a kill. But I have never experienced anything to compare with the loyalty of this fellow trying to get his buddy up.

RockMcL

I have permission to hunt a small property near my house, the owner wants some of the deer removed as they are eating all of his landscaping. One of my wife's coworkers wanted some venison, and I wanted to use my 44 mag Marlin 1894 (iron sights) to take a deer. So when a small 6 point presented himself at about 40 yards, I took the shot. He went down like ton of bricks, 200 gr Hornady XTP reloads at about 1400 fps. No exit wound, but both lungs were disintegrated.

I didn't notice the other small buck, young 3 point following him until after I shot as the cover there is very thick and overgrown. The other buck didn't leave, he went maybe 20 yards, then stopped and while watching his fallen comrade, blew several alert whistles and stomped the ground. He then circled around in front of the down deer, and crept cautiously up to him. He nosed him a few times as if trying to push him to get him up. Appeared to lick the down deer's face. Circled a few more times, then came in from behind the carcass and kicked him several times trying to get him up. This went on for about 15 minutes or so. I think finally he must have smelled me, I was in a ground blind watching. He stiff leg trotted off into the thicket.

I have seen does hang around before, even bed down in the area of a kill. But I have never experienced anything to compare with the loyalty of this fellow trying to get his buddy up.
It is just my theory but I think it is pretty well backed by observed buck behavior:
The bachelor groups are next level training initially for the yearling bucks who go from pampered mommy's favorites to being driven away in one day.
Woefully unprepared to survive and procreate on their own they join or ghost/follow existing bachelor groups and learn by observing their older peers. First year as breeding desire kicks up they find they are smelling differences in the does and get super excited but don't yet fully understand how to use terrain and thermals to give them a better chance to breed.

Within months to years those two bucks would have learned to either tolerate each other or be mortal enemies.

Not to dash the beautiful dream of friendship but that young buck didn't know how to find girls to chase as effectively as his more mature bud and just wanted help finding ladies night hollow or more wiffs of easy girl perfume as the thermals rose but he as a "young buck" did not fully understand the best way to look & move to up his chances.

Snake

I shot a decent 9 point one morning , him and another smaller buck was running a doe . It was early so thought about shooting a doe . The 9 point lay not 20 yards from me . I was in a ladder stand and heard something to my left turned to look here came a big bodied 6 point . He came right up in under me . This bucks hair was bristled up and he was walking stiff legged. He seen my downed buck so he slowly circled him and all of a sudden he rammed him ! He did this several times , he'd circle then ram him . This went on for several minutes and here I am not videoing it . I was just so dumbfounded at his reaction to my dead buck . Finally he walked off kinda like a proud walk like he had done something . That was weird never seen anything like that before .

Lost Lake

Last doe I killed her fawns did this and then laid down next to her. That was 7 years ago.

I used to be a heartless and ruthless killer. In those days I would've killed the entire family group. As a more mature hunter it just made me sad. Haven't had the desire to kill another doe as a result
For reasons I can't explain, I've gotten Ultra Uber selective about which doe I'll shoot when the time comes, if I shoot one at all. Maybe I'm just getting old, but stuff like that stays with me for a long time.

I totally understand.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Last doe I killed her fawns did this and then laid down next to her. That was 7 years ago.

I used to be a heartless and ruthless killer. In those days I would've killed the entire family group. As a more mature hunter it just made me sad. Haven't had the desire to kill another doe as a result
For reasons I can't explain, I've gotten Ultra Uber selective about which doe I'll shoot when the time comes, if I shoot one at all. Maybe I'm just getting old, but stuff like that stays with me for a long time.

I totally understand.
Y'all getting soft in your old age

Ski

Deer mourn. Many animals do. We don't always recognize it because we're self centered humans. But watch nature long enough and you'll see your reflection everywhere.

I've heard of bucks attacking dead bucks but haven't seen it. I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing deer mourn, though. It's heartbreaking.

I shot a buck once and the doe he was with came back and began circling him, then nudging his back. I thought that was horrible enough but then other does and a young forky came into the field and encircled the buck for what seemed an eternity before slowly going back where they came. The only way I can rationalize it was a funeral procession. No idea what goes through a deer's mind, but there was no other way to describe what I saw.

deerdills

I shot a decent 9 point one morning , him and another smaller buck was running a doe . It was early so thought about shooting a doe . The 9 point lay not 20 yards from me . I was in a ladder stand and heard something to my left turned to look here came a big bodied 6 point . He came right up in under me . This bucks hair was bristled up and he was walking stiff legged. He seen my downed buck so he slowly circled him and all of a sudden he rammed him ! He did this several times , he'd circle then ram him . This went on for several minutes and here I am not videoing it . I was just so dumbfounded at his reaction to my dead buck . Finally he walked off kinda like a proud walk like he had done something . That was weird never seen anything like that before .
I experienced the same thing several years ago during archery season. Mid/late October when they are sparring a lot, I arrowed a 7pt. He ran 70 yards and crashed. 3 minutes later, a nice 8 came in and started sparring with him and pushing him around. He would I walk off and browse for a minute and then come back to fight. I videoed the lopsided battle, but at 70 yards and plenty of foliage in the woods, it was not the best quality. It seemed to get more intense every time that he returned. I was thinking, there is not going to be anything left of my deers rack and his body will be all tore up, but he had no considerable damage. One of the coolest things I witnessed while hunting.

Ski

I have to ask if we are not witnessing a little Bambi syndrome here!?
Y'all are implying deer have the power of reason and therefore understand death.
I suggest it's normal behavior on display and we notice it due to the fact they do not know.
Jmho

I'd have to ask why anyone would think deer can't grieve death. Many other mammals do, including cattle and elephants, etc. Why not deer?

killingtime 41

They might grieve or have some kind of emotions. But we try to rationalize it in the human form. Because that's all we can do as humans. We compare it to ourselves and how we feel. We cannot think like a deer so we can't exactly say how and or what they are actually feeling. Without comparing ourselves in the same situation

deer hunter 21

Consider me getting soft, I shot a doe a few years back and had a yearling with her and that thing basically followed me dragging her through the woods and stayed 40-50 yards back until we reached the field and that where it quit following and I felt pretty bad.

Latest posts