Need them gone (UPDATE)

G_Man

Posted some pictures of a couple coyotes a few weeks ago. Since then, I've gotten more coyotes on camera in the same location, some the same, some not. As i was on my way to my parents' place for lunch this past Sunday, my brother called and told me that he found his dogs (Two sibling dogs, half lab half shepherd, 10 months old) dead. Looks like coyotes. It's been a rough couple days, but I finally got the ok from pops to run some traps. Have them on order, gonna dye and wax them as soon as they come in, gonna give the other land owners around them a heads up about what happened/going to happen.

I should be up and running next week sometime... I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

pass-thru

Good luck! tell us how you plan to set those traps up, maybe we can give some pointers

DaveB

I will wager you catch significantly more coyotes than you think are on the property. If you set out a trap day 1 at 9:00 AM there will a coyote in that trap before dark.

Kill them all. Mercy is for TV.

fishboy1

I thought there were a couple around here.

Caught 5 without really trying. Bunch more running around. Neighbor has shot 3 this year. Heard 3 packs the other night.

Good luck. Hope you hammer them.

G_Man

I have no doubt that there are more than what my pops and neighbors think... Trail cams cover such a small piece of the pie. Out of the past 30 days, there were 11 days that that camera took pictures of yotes or cats. And when it did take pictures, it was more than once that day, and almost always more than 1 Coyote.

pass-thru

LanceS4803 said:
Dumb question, but I assume a .22 in the head after they are trapped?

....not the best way. I use a chest compression. If I had to shoot one it would be through the lungs.

pass-thru

redblood said:
chest compression?

I smack them on the forehead with my trowel to knock them out, push down firmly with my boot on their ribcage directly over the heart (no stomping or anything like that) and pull up on the back legs. You can feel the heart beat and feel it stop. That takes 1-2 minutes on a coyote. Hold it for another minute or so to be sure. Humane and no mess. Fox are quicker.

Some of the bases I trap don't allow firearms in which case that is my only option. One such location one time I had an alpha dog with 40" of chain on the trap, enough so he could get on his back legs and lunge at me. That was a gut check, but I won. I had bought that trap 2nd hand and forgot to shorten the chain.

Of all the stuff I trap, the only think I prefer to shoot is a coon or possum.

G_Man

Long time coming... First Coyote outta a trap. Figured I'd share.

IMG_20140225_173026_zpse7ef886c.jpg