Need some rifle scope advice

Kirk

Kirk

Here is the issue. I have Leupold varix III on my rifle. I noticed something very troubling Saturday when it got low light, combination of overcast and dwindling light. (Still legal shooting time).

A button buck was standing about 50 yards from me in the woods. I could see it with my naked eye. I picked up my rifle to look at it because I could see a strange white patch on the back of it's ear. I coudn't see the deer through my scope, couldn't find it at all. Was set on 3x. I checked it for fog. Cleaned the lense with my glove finger and tried again. Still couldn't see the deer. Cranked it up to 9x and couldn't see the deer. I put the rifle down and used my binoculars and I could see the deer perfectly. Naked eye, could see the deer still. Cleaned the rifle scope again with my shirt tale. Lens was clean. Tried again, no deer could be seen. All this time the deer has never moved from the spot it is standing. Had this been a big buck I would have never been able to find it with the scope and shoot it.

I got it out during daylight hours yesterday and shot it and the scope is dead on and the view was perfect. I guess the scope has just lost it's light gathering ability. It use to be good at low light.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this low light failure?

What are some good low light scopes that are reasonably priced?

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
A lot of people dislike Bushnell and I get it. BUT, their bushnell banner dusk to dawn line has the best light gathering capabilities I have ever seen. I have compared it side by side with Varix 3's and the difference is amazing considering the bushnell can be had for less than $100 (I think). May not be your cup of tea but it definitely will fit the need of light gathering capabilities.

M

mrw

I would send it back to Leupold. They should fix it if there is a problem. I can't think of a problem that would just make it darker without fog. Could it have been fogged on the inside?

B

bowhunterfanatic

Kirk":216srqjy said:
Here is the issue. I have Leupold varix III on my rifle. I noticed something very troubling Saturday when it got low light, combination of overcast and dwindling light. (Still legal shooting time).

A button buck was standing about 50 yards from me in the woods. I could see it with my naked eye. I picked up my rifle to look at it because I could see a strange white patch on the back of it's ear. I coudn't see the deer through my scope, couldn't find it at all. Was set on 3x. I checked it for fog. Cleaned the lense with my glove finger and tried again. Still couldn't see the deer. Cranked it up to 9x and couldn't see the deer. I put the rifle down and used my binoculars and I could see the deer perfectly. Naked eye, could see the deer still. Cleaned the rifle scope again with my shirt tale. Lens was clean. Tried again, no deer could be seen. All this time the deer has never moved from the spot it is standing. Had this been a big buck I would have never been able to find it with the scope and shoot it.

I got it out during daylight hours yesterday and shot it and the scope is dead on and the view was perfect. I guess the scope has just lost it's light gathering ability. It use to be good at low light.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this low light failure?

What are some good low light scopes that are reasonably priced?

I had one do this exact same thing to me. Sent it back to them. The first time they sent it back to me and said nothing wrong. I sent it back a second time for same issue and they sent me a brand new version of the same scope. Kept my business, because had I not got a new one the second time I was done with Leupold.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Send it back. I can generally see just into the edges of woods with scopes/binos well beyond when I can see with the naked eye.

Just about any scope on the market should give you some degree of visibility in the conditions you described.

J

jb3

Was your scope "in focus"? Some scopes have an adjustable ring.

Kirk

Kirk

It didn't appear to have any internal fogging issues. The focus ring was locked down and in focus. I didn't have to mess with it any to get a clear picture in daylight.

Another theory I have considered is perhaps my vision has changed and my low light vision isn't what it is suppose to be. I will take out another rifle next trip and see if I have similar low light issues with it.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Kirk":2oiqpaks said:
It didn't appear to have any internal fogging issues. The focus ring was locked down and in focus. I didn't have to mess with it any to get a clear picture in daylight.

Another theory I have considered is perhaps my vision has changed and my low light vision isn't what it is suppose to be. I will take out another rifle next trip and see if I have similar low light issues with it.

If you could see the deer with the naked eye but not through the scope, I can’t imagine how it would be your vision being the problem.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Very strange.
I'm curious as to what it could be as well.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

J

jb3

Is the scope mounted correctly? Are you looking through the correct end?

Just kidding

M

mrw

As an Optometrist, I have to wonder if your vision is up to par in your shooting eye. Try looking through the scope with your other eye in the same conditions.

Kirk

Kirk

mrw":gb0610l2 said:
As an Optometrist, I have to wonder if your vision is up to par in your shooting eye. Try looking through the scope with your other eye in the same conditions.

That is what has me wondering if it is me. About 6 years ago I noticed my near vision wasn't as good as it use to be. Crossword puzzles started getting blurry. However, my far vision is just like it always was. Now I have to have glasses to read menus etc ...especially in low light situations you find in some eating places.

I could see the deer with no problem at 50 yards with no assistance. I could see it with no problem with the binoculars using both eyes. When I looked through the scope it was like it all blended together and couldn't make out the deer. Just a bunch of browns.

When I shot the rifle in bright daylight at 100 yards no problem. I could see fine.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Please don't take this the wrong way, but is it just possible that your rifle/scope was not pointed at the deer, but at a patch of woods very close to the deer, which in near dark conditions looks no different from the rest of the woods? Target acquisition in low light conditions with a non-optimal background is more of a challenge than most people realize.

Kirk

Kirk

Bambi Buster":3sellz0s said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but is it just possible that your rifle/scope was not pointed at the deer, but at a patch of woods very close to the deer, which in near dark conditions looks no different from the rest of the woods? Target acquisition in low light conditions with a non-optimal background is more of a challenge than most people realize.

No. The deer was standing beside a fallen log. The log was easy to find in the scope due to the dark color verses the surrounding browns. The deer was standing exactly where I was aiming.

H

huntintn

Kirk":2h17yzer said:
Bambi Buster":2h17yzer said:

No. The deer was standing beside a fallen log. The log was easy to find in the scope due to the dark color verses the surrounding browns. The deer was standing exactly where I was aiming.
Could see the log but not the deer, he'll be hard to kill when he gets mature. He's already level 95 on his ninja skills.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
huntintn":7i9wpc9a said:
Kirk":7i9wpc9a said:
Could see the log but not the deer, he'll be hard to kill when he gets mature. He's already level 95 on his ninja skills.

:rotf: :rotf: :tu:

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
Snake":2rmbcx5a said:
Get a 50 mm.

I pretty much always buy 50mm but I've read where there is no advantage over a 40mm when buying good glass. Didn't make sense to me. Anyone ever heard this?

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Spurhunter":20xm0bhy said:
Snake":20xm0bhy said:
Get a 50 mm.

I pretty much always buy 50mm but I've read where there is no advantage over a 40mm when buying good glass. Didn't make sense to me. Anyone ever heard this?

Yep, I can't remember if they said 40 or 42 mm but the way I understand it they bring in all the light your eye can use.

I prefer the 50 simply for target acquisition.