Need schooling on t/c contender

Savage Knight

I recently acquired 10in octagon barrel chambered in 256 win mag. About 150-200 pieces of brass and dies to boot. I don't know why but this little thing has tickled my fancy and I want to get it shootin. I've just got to buy a receiver. From what I understand there is a gen1 and 2 will the receivers and barrels accept one another? Ideally I'd like to find one in 22hornet. Also any load data on the 256 is appreciated. Thanks

Safari Hunt

Best to contact Thompson to see what will work. I have a Contender that is about 40 years old. Don't have the info at hand but Thompson said there are newer barrels that will fit mine. Just need to convince myself, (and the wife), to spend the $$$$.
I had a friend who had a Ruger Hawkeye (I think that is right). It was a single shot in .256. It had a half clylinder that rolled off center to load directly in the barrel/chamber. Used it for groundhogs in Ohio.
Edit- https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/int...-c-g2contender-complete-pistol-rifle-firearms

Last edited:

dpmiller613

Safari hunt, I have Contender frames from the first through several iterations and the barrels are all interchangeable.

jejeffrries71

Best to contact Thompson to see what will work. I have a Contender that is about 40 years old. Don't have the info at hand but Thompson said there are newer barrels that will fit mine. Just need to convince myself, (and the wife), to spend the $$$$.
I had a friend who had a Ruger Hawkeye (I think that is right). It was a single shot in .256. It had a half clylinder that rolled off center to load directly in the barrel/chamber. Used it for groundhogs in Ohio.
Edit- https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/int...-c-g2contender-complete-pistol-rifle-firearms
Groundhogs used to be fun years ago. After the coyotes moved in they don't seem quite as common or at least not as bold.

Hunter 257W

I'm not qualified to answer specifics about Contender interchangeability but it sounds as if your interest in the Contender is similar to what has made me say many times that i want one. Those smaller groundhog type cartridges' with many swappable barrels has always appealed to me but for some reason just have never got one. I guess muzzle blast is the main reason. The 256 Winchester and 22 Hornet are perfect experimenters cartridges for this gun. Keep us updated on load development as you proceed with this fun project.

I always regretted the Ruger Hawkeye going away so soon before I could grow up and make enough money to buy one too.

gemihur

6x223 jpg.jpg
6x45 Hog-getter (hedgehog, that is)

Latest posts