Need replacement treble hooks for crankbaits.

mike243

be really careful , these dang hooks are super sharp these days, not sure how they kicked it up since I was a kid , cant touch 1 tying it on without getting poked at least once lol

sll

I've always replaced and built mine with Mustad triple grip.
I have a listing in the classifieds of bulk Mustad KVD Elite Short Shank Triple Grips in size 2 for anyone that buys these. They are the best treble out there in my opinion. I will be doing other sizes also later.

AM84

I have a listing in the classifieds of bulk Mustad KVD Elite Short Shank Triple Grips in size 2 for anyone that buys these. They are the best treble out there in my opinion. I will be doing other sizes also later.

Ive used the Gamakatsu hooks previously but I think these are now the way to go. They will allow you to sometimes use 1 size bigger hook than what you are replacing and they are sharp!

FLTENNHUNTER1

So here is what I ordered:

Gamakatsu Short Shank EWG - top notch quality and built really well; good thick steelwire. Razor sharp. Put size 4 on DT-6 Rapala with good results.

Mustad KVD's as mentioned above. Not as stout as the Gamakatsu but similar results on size 2 I installed on Choppo top water lure.

Berkley Fusion 19. I think these are what come standard on Choppo whopper ploppers. They appear to be identical to the originals and IMO are good hooks. Sticky sharp. I hesitate to pull them from trees and bushes in fear of them coming back towards the boat and stabbing me in the neck LMAO.

Eagle Claw Trokar. IMO these are the sharpest of all I ordered. They appear to be sharpened on 3 sides and are extremely sharp. The wire isn't as thick and they are round bend wire vs. EWG. There is no doubt the hooks will penetrate easily. Plus, the are the only ones made in USA.

Headhunter

Gamakatsu, the best. My dad is 87 and he can still fish. He goes with me on occasion and the last several trips to Canada he has went. Here I throw crankbaits quite a bit, in Canada, especially for my dad, crankbaits are one of the most thrown baits. ALL my crankbaits have gamakatsu hooks, I have a couple crankbaits. If my dad breaks off or changes baits and it is a bait I haven't put gamakatsu's on, all it takes is a fish or 2 and he will tell me to put the lure with the good hooks on. He does not fish that much anymore, but he knows in just a couple minutes if a lure does not have gamakatsu's and he basically never touches the lure, myself or my brother tie the lure on, take the fish off and fix and tangles he has.

Whopper plopper's (decent hooks) and pompadour jr's (the pompadour has some SHARP hooks) are the only 2 baits I throw that do not get changed to gamakatsu's.

All my hybrid baits have 4x strong gamakatsu's, I have a couple hybrid baits also. I bought several new baits to try this year, some were close to $20 each. I tried them with the hooks that came on them, some mustads, some owners, some I don't know, but they only lasted for a fish or 2, and the 4x strong gamakatsu's got put on them.

Only hook I use that isn't a gamakatsu, is when I texas rig and it has not let me down, a 2/0 lazer sharp eagle claw, 45 auto. I have used them for over 30 years worm fishing and they have been great. I have stuck them out of 5 lb bass eyeballs, they work great.

Pilchard

Unrelated to the topic but I will not use anything but Mustad hooks and occasionally Owners. I have had too many Gamaktsus(sp?) and Trokars break just below the barb on long fights with tarpon. I have never had a Mustad break. There is a reason that every commercial boat uses Mustad hooks almost exclusively. I'm sure this is of no consequence for most freshwater applications.

Latest posts