Need help with a ML for my daughter!!

khawk

I will be taking my girl on the Hiwassee youth hunt in sept. I have a ML that I can adjust to fit her but....I dont want her shooting 100gr powder with my 295gr sabot. i know they make lighter sabots but what would the recommended amount of powder for a youth. She handles a .243 with zero problem. I am wanting to keep her shot inside 75 yds.

preacherrandy

TC makes a 200 grain shockwave sabot bullet that is very accurate especially when coupled with Blackhorn 209 powder. I started using the Blackhorn and TC Shockwave and was amazed how little the recoil was and the ease of cleaning. You simply use regular gun cleaning solvent. You can use as little as 75 grains because it burns hotter that regular black powder. I took a nice 8 point at 150 yards and the bullet when exactly where I aimed.

Living2Hunt

preacherrandy said:
TC makes a 200 grain shockwave sabot bullet that is very accurate especially when coupled with Blackhorn 209 powder. I started using the Blackhorn and TC Shockwave and was amazed how little the recoil was and the ease of cleaning. You simply use regular gun cleaning solvent. You can use as little as 75 grains because it burns hotter that regular black powder. I took a nice 8 point at 150 yards and the bullet when exactly where I aimed.

AGREED! Great combination! 75 grains will be good for that bullet!

Rubberduck270

The 200 grain shockwave or Hornady XTP with 75 grains of powder will do fine for inside 75 yrds. I'd personally go with the XTP's over the shockwaves because you won't be pushing them all that fast. Shockwave may have expansion issues at those low speeds.

tasaman

Agree with the 200gr TC Shockwave or Hornady SST(same bullets) with the blue sabot. Put 80gr Blackhorn 209 or Triple 7 behind it and your good to go. Daughter used that to take her first deer. 125 yard shot.

Another option and much cheaper is to buy a bag of the blue sabots and a box of 10mm/40 cal 200 gr Hornady XTP bullets. You go from a dollar a shot to about 30 cents not counting powder.

Don't go too low on powder charge on lightweight bullets. You need to build enough pressure to produce consistent ignition and velocity Especially with BH209. Recoil will not be bad with 200 gr bullets. If it weren't for the smoke you would be able to watch the bullet hit your target through the scope.

Latest posts