Need help cleanimg and identifying

jlanecr500

20210731_204513.jpg
20210731_204500.jpg
While tearing down an old 1800's house, I found a sword. I've looked online and it appears to be a civil war sword. It came from the attic so the guard is heavily tarnished. What should I clean it with that won't hurt the leather wrapping on the handle ? I cleaned one area with brasso and fine scotchbrite. Also, what should I use to remove rust from the sword ? It has engravings on it.
20210731_204537.jpg

Last edited:

Crow Terminator

Definitely a nice sword but you killed a lot of the value when you took Brasso and scotchbrite to it. That tarnish is called "patina" and is most desirable that way to collectors. Without seeing it in person and going by pics I would say it WAS worth $500-700. Your cleaning job took a hit on that.

jlanecr500

I actually used a yellow dish scrubber sponge. It is pretty nasty from being in that attic for what could have been over 100 years. I tore the house down with a mini excavator and pushed it into a fire. I had 3 piles ready to start a new fire and as we were hand feeding the fire, my helper picked it up. So it almost got burned. I would be happy with it cleaned up and hung over my mantle. It looks like it may have been an officers sword by the casting designs on the guard.

Crow Terminator

I actually used a yellow dish scrubber sponge. It is pretty nasty from being in that attic for what could have been over 100 years. I tore the house down with a mini excavator and pushed it into a fire. I had 3 piles ready to start a new fire and as we were hand feeding the fire, my helper picked it up. So it almost got burned. I would be happy with it cleaned up and hung over my mantle. It looks like it may have been an officers sword by the casting designs on the guard.
Those types were usually only issued to officers.

You never know what is in those old houses. I know of two Civil War officer uniforms that came from houses that were being torn down. My neighbor was an elderly lady whose husband was an odd guy. He lived in a dirt floor house with newspaper in the walls for insulation. No indoor plumbing or heating and air, and this was in the late 1990s. He was very wealthy though and didn't trust banks and everything he did was in cash. When he died, his wife bought a new trailer and lived in it, and it was a mansion to her compared to that old shack. She had it torn down and when they were doing so, they found loads of cash stuffed in the walls. I've heard different amounts but straight from the lady herself, she said it was over ten thousand cash. She let the guys doing the work have all of it because she said they were honest enough to tell her about it, and in her words "I'm old and have all I need". She let me metal detect the farm any time I wanted up until she died. I kept hoping I would come across some jars of buried money but never did.

DaveTN

I have no idea what its worth, but is sure does look like a Cavalry Saber. Could be the real deal, or could be an old azz copy. As most have said, if you are going to sell, its probably going to bring more in the condition you found it. If you aren't selling it; I would restore it as best I could and hang it on the wall.

In the pictures you post it appears to be in the scabbard. Is the blade pitted badly?

Latest posts