Need Advice on buying boat

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

Since Tn doesn't issue titles, how do you know if the boat is owned free and clear? Would the police dept be able to run and make sure the boat isn't stolen?

7mm08

7mm08

Go thru county clerk’s office. That is how it is registered in this life state along with TWRA sticker. The serial number will be located on the starboard side of the stern generally

JArender

JArender

Supporter
7mm08":2k6pkgy3 said:
Go thru county clerk’s office. That is how it is registered in this life state along with TWRA sticker. The serial number will be located on the starboard side of the stern generally

Thats what I did with a four wheeler I was buying. I called the clerks office and asked if they could run a title or lien check. I had the guy give me the serial number. He had told me nothing was owed on it. Didnt want to give me the numbers but I told him before I bought it I needed to check for insurance. It had a lien. I walked away. Id assume boats can be checked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

MickThompson

Boats are not automatically checked against the database when you register them in my experience. I had one stolen and it was register twice before the Sevier County SD bothered to run the SNs 3 years later. I doubt the county clerk has access to the law enforcement database.

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

MickThompson":1kzyn9he said:
Boats are not automatically checked against the database when you register them in my experience. I had one stolen and it was register twice before the Sevier County SD bothered to run the SNs 3 years later. I doubt the county clerk has access to the law enforcement database.

I don't like reading that. I've checked craigslist, priced a bunch of boats new, and think I've found one. We'll see when they open tomorrow. Wish the motor was a 25 instead of a 20, but I doubt I'll notice much difference. But it has all the features I want.