Need a Meat grinder

jard

I may just break down and buy a meat grinder this year. What do you guys use that works well and how much do they cost? I have a vacuum sealer and am tired of taking small deer to the processor.

DntBrnDPig

I just a LEM Big Bite #5 from Bass Pro. If you buy it before the 29th from Bass Pro you get the foot switch for free.

I'm excited about it. I was using the grinder attachment for the kitchen aid mixer.

Hunter 257W

I got a LEM #12 from Academy Sports last year for $399. It's more than you probably need for doing just your own deer I suppose, but I don't like using a machine that is barely adequate. That's why I bought the #12 for my 1st powered grinder. I don't think you would regret getting one. Even at $400, you still recover that amount in savings after about the 5 or 6 deer.

Hunter 257W

jard":1009oivx said:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-heavy-duty-grinder/1387520.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ns%3DMIN_SALE_PRICE%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgrinder%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dgrinder%26searchTypeByFilter%3DTopRated%26x%3D10%26y%3D6&Ntt=grinder

What about something like this? I do not see my self using this for anything else other than deer.

Based on personal experience I can't say anything about that specific machine but just to look at it, it looks like one of the "barely adequate" machines i was talking about above. Cabela's usually sells good enough products and I'm sure it would get by, but that's what I wanted to avoid. The LEM #12 begs you to try to bog it down and is all steel, I tried my best to shove meat in it fast enough to make it slow down and couldn't. Maybe somebody has this specific Cabela's grinder and they can speak more specific to it's capabilities. A lot of guys here have the smaller grinders and have mentioned specific models in the past that they have had good luck with.

smalljawbasser

I ain't much on barely adequate either. I figure this is one of those "buy once, cry once" kind of deals.

I bought an LEM 3/4hp (#12). I've used it for 4 deer and 4 hogs. It is perfect. I'm reasonably sure I could grind 100lbs in a couple hours. A side of beef would not be an issue. Parts for the better, bigger grinders are readily available. It's most likely a lifetime purchase.

LEM at one time had a refurb section on their site for grinders that have been returned for whatever reason.

Latest posts