• Help Support TNDeer:

Navajo bread

Tenntrapper

Several years ago, I was out on the Navajo reservation. I had some bread that they called Navajo bread. I asked how it was made, and the recipe was shared with me. Pretty sure it was a fried biscuit, but not sure if exactly the same. I've since lost my recipe. Does anyone know how to make this? Is it just a fried biscuit?
Thanks for any help

KPH

Several years ago, I was out on the Navajo reservation. I had some bread that they called Navajo bread. I asked how it was made, and the recipe was shared with me. Pretty sure it was a fried biscuit, but not sure if exactly the same. I've since lost my recipe. Does anyone know how to make this? Is it just a fried biscuit?
Thanks for any help
had some other week when we where at Monument Valley had some stew at Goulding Resort it didn't seem like a fried biscuit but it was pretty good. just took a quick look up and it is fry bread not fried. i need to read about it.

Planking

Bannock is what ive made before. Its a Native American bread. Simple ingredients.
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 2 tablespoons baking powder

• ¼ cup butter, melted

• 1 ½ cups water

RUGER

Supporter
My dad called them "hoe cakes".
They would mix it up, pat it out and lay it on the backside of their hoe and hold it over a fire in the cotton field.
That was their lunch.

Yeah that white privilege he grew up with.

waynesworld

We call the bread Indian fry bread but have seen Navajo tacos made with it.

Latest posts