My wife got a "due care "ticket..??

pressfit

pressfit

My wife backed into a ladies car on our farm a couple of weeks ago.. the lady had rented our barn out for a prom or something like that.. didn't do very much damage but they called the THP to fill out the accident report.. there were 3 vehicles on the place at the time of the accident... after writing out the report the trooper gives my wife a ticket for "due care"..?? About $209.00 worth... now what in petes sake is due care????

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

I didn't think they could write a ticket for that on private property?

huntinkev

huntinkev

I didn't think they could do a police report on private property.

My wife backed into someone in food city parking lot several years ago. They called the police to fill out report but they showed up and said they couldn't on private property. They checked out id and insurance so they could exchange them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

J

Jon54

When my U of M Tigers lost the national championship to Kansas in ‘08, I left San Antonio mad at the world. A local cop in some small town ticketed me for doing 75 in a 65 zone and it cost me $444. In Texas, the speed limit is 75 during the day and 65 at night.

S

Skinnyindian

Tennessee Code 55-8-136 – Drivers to exercise due care
Current as of: 2010 | Check for updates | Other versions
(a) Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian upon any roadway, and shall give warning by sounding the horn when necessary, and shall exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any confused or incapacitated person upon a roadway.

Terms Used In Tennessee Code 55-8-136
Driver: means every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
Motor vehicle: means every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium-speed vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding motorized bicycles, and every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
Pedestrian: means any person afoot or using a motorized or non-motorized wheelchair. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
Person: means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association or corporation. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
Property: includes both personal and real property. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
Right-of-way: means the privilege of the immediate use of the roadway. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
Road: includes public bridges and may be held equivalent to the words "county way" "county road" or "state road". See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
Roadway: means that portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the berm or shoulder. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
Vehicle: means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks. See Tennessee Code 55-8-101
(b) Notwithstanding any speed limit or zone in effect at the time, or right of way rules that may be applicable, every driver of a motor vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any other motor vehicle, either being driven or legally parked, upon any roadway, or any road sign, guard rail or any fixed object legally placed within or beside the roadway right of way, by operating the motor vehicle at a safe speed, by maintaining a safe lookout, by keeping the motor vehicle under proper control and by devoting full time and attention to operating the motor vehicle, under the existing circumstances to avoid endangering life, limb or property.

R

ronnycl

I would place a call to his lieutenant. From my past experience a citation cannot be issued on private property unless dui or injury is involved. I think a trooper crossed the line....if his lieutenant will not help work up the chain of command. Someone will listen

S

Stykbow

Re: My wife got a "due care "ticket..??

Yeah that’s a bunch of crap. Let’s forget about whether they “could” write the ticket or not. The real question to me is “should” they write it. Somebody acting plum stupid or endangering others. Sure give them a ticket, but an honest accident with no bodily harm I say let the insurance deal with. My wife wrecked a truck we had once. Several inches of snow on the ground and she came around a curve to find a wrecker swinging into her lane to get a van that slid off the road. My slid off the road and rolled the truck several times down a steep hill. That took out the barbed wire fence holding up the van. Stinking deputy wrote up the report stating it was the wife’s fault for not maintaining control of her vehicle. I got a real bad taste for the cops after that one. Sorry about. Rant over and I hate that your wife got a ticket just to add insult to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
I know some will rail against me for this, but I've observed troopers that feel they should not have to stoop down and do the same work that county and city police do.

I got rear ended by an oil tanker in Knoxville. I saw it was gonna hit me and I tried to get by the car in front of me but there wasn't room. When it hit me, my truck went down in a deep ditch shaped median strip. When the officer arrived, I supplied a chain and the oil tanker pulled me out. I moved over into a parking lot. My wife was getting off work so she stopped by to see if I was OK, which honestly my upper back was stiff because my head was turned when he hit me. She helped me get my registration and proof of insurance from under the dash. My old 77 chevrolet glove box is open on top and everything in it went on top of the heater box under the dash when the truck nosed straight down in the median. She had to lay on her back in the floor and reach up under the dash to find my papers. The trooper was pissed because a county arrived and waited on the trooper to arrive to work the accident because it was a state highway. The trooper would not accept my proof of insurance. He said my wife brought it to me as if I didn't actually have it in the truck even though he sat there and watched us dig for it. I went to court and it was dropped but I still had to pay 90 something dollars court costs and lost 1/2 day of overtime. IT IS A RACKET. PERIOD

Kimber45

Kimber45

I was wrongfully written a ticket by a trooper in an accident once, 30 yrs ago. Took our old Polaroid instant pic camera and made several photos. Showed up in court, presented my written statement and my pictures and got to hear a judge yell at a trooper. He was known to be buddies with the guy who ran into me and absolutely lied to write the ticket. There's a bad apple in every basket most of the time, but I have always still been totally respectful and courteous when dealing with LEO of any kind as I can only imagine what they deal with on a routine basis. Since that bad deal and a seat belt ticket 29 yrs later, all has been good :)

I would be making calls about that ticket.. I don't think that was supposed to be done