My Vains vs. My 4' Fletchings

Kevin

I was shooting my broadheads on my new bow for the first time today, the vains that came on them are straight. I started short to make sure i hit the target, and they were dead money at ten yards. My first test at twenty yards i cut a vain off bc they were so tighty. My second test at twenty yard, i missed the target once, and was on opposite sides of it the other two. My arrows almost started to knuckle like a knuckle ball.

This was really confusing, and i went to 4' fletchings that are right helical and they flew much much better. I was actually shooting better groups with those than my field tips.

This really concerns me about my blazer vains though because i really liked them. Any reason why they might be doing that?

I shoot muzzy 4blade 100g broadheads. But have heard the 3 blades shoot much better. Also i have been considering mechanicals.

eddie c

something is not tuned correctly. OR you did something different on the second 20 yd session.
did you start dropping your bow arm trying to watch the arrows fly?

eddie c

something happened between the first test at 20 and the second. the possibilities:
something came loose.
you gripped different.
you dropped your bow arm to watch the arrows fly.
you changed your form.
you jerked your release instead of squezzing the trigger.

dont go to the mechanicals just to solve a flight problem. something is out of tune. check your bow and make sure you are using proper spined shafts.

Kevin

Im going to the pro shop tomorrow, gonna get my vains put back on, and i might get some 3 blades.

I just cant get my confidence in the 4 blades, i dont know. its really put me in a upset mood trying to figure it out.

turkeyhunter64

I have to agree. You did something wrong. I experimented today with blazer and 4 inch vane. They each shot different with the same slick trick but the blazer was way more consistent from 10 to 45yrds. Also have a 2deg RH twist on my vanes.

Relax your grip and let the bow fall away after you shoot. This will keep you from punching to see the arrow flight.

Kevin

I shot my last blazer vain today with a muzzy 4 blade. and i was very very satisfied with how i shot, all the way out to thirty yards i was very confident that id be able to lay the smack down on one. I am just really undecided on if i want to go rage or not. i cannot get over the holes.

but if i had to choose right now, im dead money with my muzzys, so why switch.

Anybody have a preference of the 4 blades or the 3 blades? And do they fly the same?

turkeyhunter64

Kevin said:
I shot my last blazer vain today with a muzzy 4 blade. and i was very very satisfied with how i shot, all the way out to thirty yards i was very confident that id be able to lay the smack down on one. I am just really undecided on if i want to go rage or not. i cannot get over the holes.

but if i had to choose right now, im dead money with my muzzys, so why switch.

Anybody have a preference of the 4 blades or the 3 blades? And do they fly the same?

Kevin,

I've shot them all. 3 blade muzzy, 4 blade muzzy, Sattelite, thunderheads, wasp, spitfire, old orginal punch cutter, BUT I just shot my first slick trick 100gr mags the last few days. They are by far the most accurate fix blade I have used. Fly great out to 45 yrds. (as far as I will shoot) Liked them so much I took all my hunting arrows to my local dealer to have the 4in vanes replaced with the blazer, ordered replacement blades and another pack. The slick trick shot so tight I cut a 3 inch hole out of the center of my target.

From what I know and have learned arrow spine and spin testing is the most important. Your bow will recommend a mim arrow weight. As long as your arrow and broad head are above that then you should be able to shoot any broadhead you want. It then is up to the makers specs to provide a good quality head. For my money it would be slick trick or muzzy 4 blade as I have had 3 blades plane on me during flight. I don't like mechanicals as I don't trust mechanics to always work. A fixed blade broad head I know is going to cut on impact because I can see it. You can't say that for something you can't see work. If you are shooting as good as you say, why would you spend $40 on something you really don't need since you already have the Muzzy's

Also make sure you have a RH twist on your vanes. Helps stablize the arrow in flight and really drives the arrow home. I am sure this is more than you wanted but I am bored tonight.

Kevin

No turkey that is great info, i am going to have to buy more heads anyways cut i have shot up all my muzzys. I could sharpen them but i will be at college in a week so not much time to. I am going tomorrow to get new vains put on, and i will make sure to got a right helical.

I have heard great things about the slick tricks also. I think i may stay with the muzzys but if I have any problems with the muzzys i'll switch, but thanks for all the advice its been a great help.

turkeyhunter64

I shot muzzy's for 5 yrs. great broadhead. Don't buy new ones just get some replacement blades. Glade to hear you are in school. I have a daughter starting this yr at my old school TTU.

Latest posts