My rock collection

Creek

Stupid question....I'm new at this. Do you have to dig for these or are they just usually sitting on top? I've got a spring fed stream and a larger tributary stream on my place that I'd like to hunt once the water subsides a bit.

Banks? Bottoms?
No, you dont have to dig for them but you can. About the only time you would dig is in an area where you know there was a concentration/campsite, like under a rock shelter/overhang or a campsite on a nearby knoll. This method is hard work and very time consuming. You can search Youtube and there are tons of videos (careful some are fake) showing many artifacts found in both large and small waterways, even along the edge of a river or creek bank where erosion may have possibly exposed dark layers of habitation. Be aware of laws prohibiting any collecting of artifacts in a TWRA Wildlife Management area etc...
The other option of just finding them laying on the ground is typically from tilled ground, like on a knoll/hilltop near most any natural water source, which those spots are hard to come by these days because farmers dont typically plow or disk the soil like the old days, not to mention most artifacts have been damaged to some degree from the equip.
If you are on your own property then I believe you can pretty much do what you want as long as you dont dig up any grave sites, which Im sure you wouldnt do, but you could most certainly plow a nearby hilltop if you have that option or look in your spring fed stream for pieces of flint.
Best of luck. Beware it can be extremely addictive if you start finding pieces, and then after you find your first complete piece, its game on !

Specializedjon

No, you dont have to dig for them but you can. About the only time you would dig is in an area where you know there was a concentration/campsite, like under a rock shelter/overhang or a campsite on a nearby knoll. This method is hard work and very time consuming. You can search Youtube and there are tons of videos (careful some are fake) showing many artifacts found in both large and small waterways, even along the edge of a river or creek bank where erosion may have possibly exposed dark layers of habitation. Be aware of laws prohibiting any collecting of artifacts in a TWRA Wildlife Management area etc...
The other option of just finding them laying on the ground is typically from tilled ground, like on a knoll/hilltop near most any natural water source, which those spots are hard to come by these days because farmers dont typically plow or disk the soil like the old days, not to mention most artifacts have been damaged to some degree from the equip.
If you are on your own property then I believe you can pretty much do what you want as long as you dont dig up any grave sites, which Im sure you wouldnt do, but you could most certainly plow a nearby hilltop if you have that option or look in your spring fed stream for pieces of flint.
Best of luck. Beware it can be extremely addictive if you start finding pieces, and then after you find your first complete piece, its game on !
Thank you sir. I've got several of those options you mentioned on my property (hilltops near stream, spring fed streams, larger tributaries to the duck river, etc.) To your point, I think I'll wait a bit until my larger projects are done before I start searching. I walk the property often to clear my head so I'm hoping to stumble upon a few artifacts. I'll post picks and ask the experts if I think I've got something. Appreciate the advise and warnings.

Creek

Thank you sir. I've got several of those options you mentioned on my property (hilltops near stream, spring fed streams, larger tributaries to the duck river, etc.) To your point, I think I'll wait a bit until my larger projects are done before I start searching. I walk the property often to clear my head so I'm hoping to stumble upon a few artifacts. I'll post picks and ask the experts if I think I've got something. Appreciate the advise and warnings.
Im equivalent to a kindergartener when compared to the knowledge of several other members on here.
I hope you find the motherload. Looking forward to pictures some day.
Oh yeah, if you plow and its visible from a nearby road, beware of trespassers.

Specializedjon

Im equivalent to a kindergartener when compared to the knowledge of several other members on here.
I hope you find the motherload. Looking forward to pictures some day.
Oh yeah, if you plow and its visible from a nearby road, beware of trespassers.
God help'em if unwelcomed "guests" try and come on the property. Never knew that was something I needed to worry about. Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts