My New Raised Bed Veggie Garden

gil1

After years of in-ground gardening, I finally stepped up a couple weeks ago and constructed some raised beds with some rough cut cedar I got my hands on. It's about 300 sq. ft. with some smaller beds on the ends for companion plants. I screened it in from rabbits and my dog and added a few stepping stones between the beds.

I then got about two tons of homemade compost from my bins and planted about 200 cool season veggie plants from seed. I'll plant the warm stuff in a month or so. Come on spring!

IMG_1367_zpsbae55b0b.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsfa1492fd.jpg

IMG_1368_zps6902dc12.jpg

IMG_1371_zps844ea685.jpg

IMG_1404_zpsaf31f192.jpg

IMG_1407_zpsf5ce3348.jpg

IMG_1386_zpse9ebc427.jpg

IMG_1319_zps33fc88c1.jpg

eightpointer

gil1 said:
I live sort of in West Nashville near West End ave. in Cherokee park.

My Aunt and Uncle lived on Westboro in West Nashville many years ago when I was a kid. It looked like their old neighborhood. Nice raised beds.

gil1

Deck78 said:
Hey Gil, where did you get that cedar from and what did you pay for board/ft?

I got them for $18 per board from Peter Anderson � 710-3970

[email protected]

Peter is a landscaper who got them from Grant�s Mill in Red Boiling Springs, TN.

The width is about 9 inches. The length is rough cut, so you can get anywhere from about 8 feet to 8 feet 6 inches out of them after sawing them off at a straight edge. I think Peter charges like a dollar or two extra if you want him to cut them all at 8 feet, but I just did it myself and got as much length as I could out of each board. He delivers.

Hawk

Great idea. I think you will be pleased with how much more the beds will produce over conventional tillage.

Great farmers' market over at Richland Park every Saturday for you to sell your surplus. :)

gil1

Hawk said:
Great idea. I think you will be pleased with how much more the beds will produce over conventional tillage.

Great farmers' market over at Richland Park every Saturday for you to sell your surplus. :)

I'm interested to see the results. Although I sort of get it, I can't quite wrap my head around why the yield would be so much better. I would be doing all the same things (same amount of compost), just above ground). Maybe it's the temp. of the soil above ground?

The farmers' markets sort of surround us where I live - it's awesome.

gil1

It's all good so far. We've been gobbling up all the lettuces and spinach for a couple weeks. Everything else is waiting in the wings for warmer weather. I've planted everything except for sweet potatoes which will go in in about a month.

Here's what else I've got growing...
Corn
Several species of Tomatoes
Squash
Zucchini
Red and Orange Sweet Bell Peppers
Pole Beans
Okra
Asparagus
3 species of broccolini (hybrid broccoli)
Strawberries
Lots of herbs
Luffa (loofah) plants/sponges

Your deal looks pretty awesome!

Latest posts