My New Flint Lock Rifle

Wobblyshot1

The builder delivered it to me this weekend. It's something I've been wanting for a long time and is sorta a retirement gift to myself. It's a short barreled flint gun I like to call my "Americanized Jeager". It's gonna make me a dandy deer thumper and I can't wait to give it a try.

Specs: 31" swamped barrel by Rice, 1-66" twist, .58 caliber
Zorn early Germanic lock, Davis single set tiggers
Red maple curly stock stained with aqua fortis
Weight is 6 1/2 pounds

Here she is

20140907_081333_zpsqymr8lxt.jpg

20140907_081143_zps1h6slyxa.jpg

20140907_081111_zpscpzpsbfu.jpg

20140907_080513_zpslyyy21he.jpg

20140907_081405_zps0a53yjzr.jpg

Wobblyshot1

Thanks guys. As you may have guessed, the American long rifle is a passion of mine.

Tomorrow, I'm headed to the range to shoot it for the first time. Hopefully, it will perform as good as it looks. I'll report back with the results.

soggybottom

what a beauty. someday I need to buy me one and shoot it right now I'm still scared of them afraid I might get a ball of fire in my face. but for now I'll still stick with the cap lock. Do you wear safety glasses?

soggybottom

One other thing it's hard to find good quality cap lock and flintlocks I don't know who still makes them today I've always been a Thompson Center guy.
did you finally retire your other flintlock?

Wobblyshot1

88Mic said:
what a beauty. someday I need to buy me one and shoot it right now I'm still scared of them afraid I might get a ball of fire in my face. but for now I'll still stick with the cap lock. Do you wear safety glasses?

I wear eye glasses and sometimes safety glasses over them but I'd recommend eye protection for all shooting anyway.

You'll hardly notice the pan flash if you follow basic marksmanship rules...that is, keep your focus on the sights and don't anticipate the flash. Many also assume the ignition of a flintlock is slow. Modern timing tests have shown that while it will measure slower that the caplock, that difference in ignition speed cannot be perceived by the human mind.

This is an excellent site showing some of these test with many neat slo-mo videos: http://www.blackpowdermag.com/

Wobblyshot1

88Mic said:
One other thing it's hard to find good quality cap lock and flintlocks I don't know who still makes them today I've always been a Thompson Center guy.
did you finally retire your other flintlock?

I agree with you. Off the shelf tradition guns are rare this day and age with most all muzzle loaders on the market favoring the modern ML deer hunting sport. The old styles are still available but finding a source and ordering one is what you'd likely have to do. As far as I know, they are all imported but many are actually pretty good. I had a Lyman Great Plains rifle one time...Won it in a raffle....It was .54 caliber and flint ignition that pleasantly surprised me as it was fast and accurate. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to break into flintlock shooting.

As for my old flint deer hunting gun, it's not retired and I still will be shooting it from time to time. I've been contemplating having me a shotgun replacement barrel made for it. Sure would be fun to bust a turkey with it.

soggybottom

Thanks I'll look into the lyman great plains can you still get parts for them or are they out of production.
You have got my interest up in getting one.
Do you recommend a 50 or a 54 cal?

Latest posts