My nephews first deer, truly special.

AT Hiker

As to not give too many details, let's just say my nephew doesn't have many quality male role models in his life. The few he has don't get to spend much quality time with him.
Fortunately, he grew to admire me and my grandad and how we spent time together in the outdoors. My nephew jumped at every chance he could get to come to the farm. Always wanting to hunt with me or Papa. So early on my granddad bought him his lifetime license, he would tag along with us on his few visits. Sadly, my granddad passed away before my nephew really got to fully experience everything hunting.
Fast forward a couple years and I realized it was up to me to get him involved. It started out by shooting mistletoe on Christmas Day. Plinking a BB gun then taking him and my daughter turkey hunting on Easter.
The bug really bit him last year when we had a Tom come working in, reading the script perfectly. Unfortunately, he couldn't get the shot but he experienced the best of it.

DA546018-63A8-4F0E-8BA1-5022B57C7113.jpeg

My nephew and daughter last spring when the bug bite him.

Thanksgiving this year was scheduled for him to spend it with his Mom. He begged her to allow him to come to farm so I could take him hunting, she obliged. We had one morning to hunt, putting myself in his shoes it probably felt like waiting for Christmas. I agreed to allow him to shoot my rifle at any deer that came within range. We didn't have time for him to shoot my rifle and I contemplated the scenario. However, he shot a 12 gauge turkey load and survived so I just rolled with it. Crash course in safety and full of endorphins we headed out.

295BF8A8-22FD-452C-AE08-2B896C58DF97.jpeg

The two of them napping in the hay last Spring, leaving me to listen for distant gobbles.

We headed out at dusk. Hunting our way to the stand I knew he would have the best odds of seeing deer. Man did he have a great first hour, a nice 8 absolutely dogging a doe. We were able to put a stalk on them and got within 75 yards, unbelievable. The buck presents a shot, I scramble trying to assist him with getting set up and to make sure I had control of the gun if need be. He shoots and clean miss.
The buck takes off after the doe again, he watched the pursuit as I tried to figure it all out. Thinking he would be disappointed. But no, he thought it was the coolest thing. Sweet, the bug really has him now!
So, I knew we needed to go somewhere so he could have a solid rest. It was early and we still had a couple hours before we needed to be back.
We settled in to another stand, the barn in the back.
Soon after sitting down a doe come out, we couldn't maneuver properly for him to get a shot. I told him we needed her to come from the other direction, he would have the perfect rest and the deer would be within 50 yards. I said it would be perfect if she did.
Shortly after she disappeared my nephew starts pounding my shoulder, standing exactly where I told him we needed the deer to be was a buck!
I have no clue how we pulled it off, the deer was close and buck fever had taken over…me!
He did everything I told him. He bolted a round in (I wanted to play it as safe as I could, just in case he has an outside influence that doesn't preach gun safety), got settled, safety off and squeezed. Bang flop! No sooner than when the deer hit the ground did he realize what had just happened, he had just taken his first animal. If someone could bottle up the excitement and emotions and prescribe it, depression would cease to exist.

53CE8ADC-FA2F-4734-AAE4-F1E47ADC10A1.jpeg

I hope he remembers this like I remember my first. I took my first deer in the same area, I just wish my grandad could have been with us.

30935B57-B386-4996-B299-2D3423333D18.jpeg

He thought I was joking about drinking the blood, until I gave him the inaugural markings 😁
He was truly amazed when I field dressed it and really took interest in the anatomy lesson.

788335DB-4AA6-49A7-98AC-997E713A7B37.jpeg

Both of us on cloud 9.

D086F714-4B18-4231-AEFA-B97D2C509F20.jpeg

I was going to make sure he had the full experience. Tenderloins for breakfast, too.

4412383C-7D3F-471D-A5CC-B154BB49AABA.jpeg

He got the preferential taxidermy treatment as well. I just finished it up today. I am pretty excited to get this to him. My mom said he has already cleared a spot in his room, much to our amazement his mother is allowing the mount at her home.
I told him it would be next year before it's done, technically I didn't lie😁

It is a glorious feeling to realize that a young human truly looks up to you. That they are eager to learn from you, even when they have very limited exposure to your presence. It is also a bit intimidating, knowing that your influence, no matter how much time you spend with them, truly impacts people.

I woke up that morning thinking the day was all about him, little did he know his presence would have a lifetime impact on me as well.

Last edited:

Ski

The best investment we can make is in our youth. Sometimes we go through life wondering what our purpose is, why on earth God put us here. That right there is it. The good lord called you to duty and it appears you answered that call, and have begun realizing the reward for doing so! Thank you for the story. Made my day reading it.

Latest posts