My Ground Cover Story

DaveB

I moved into new construction in Diamond Bar, CA and I had a hill, steep, in my back yard. I wanted to stop the rainwater from carving new canals and so I planted a pretty kind of flower that I was told by Mr. Burpee would be the cats meow in ground covers.

Sure enough the seed sprouted and took a good root, bloomed pretty, I liked them. Gallardia is the name. Turns out its from Mexico and grows everyplace.

Next spring I had ground cover about one in every sq foot of my yard. You couldn't kill em, had to dig them up. Next door neighbor was furious with me said she really like the flowers on her table, i didn't know she was swiping them for her interior bouquets. I also did not know she had a serious drinking problem. We had no fence between us at the time and I was busy digging a hole for a bare root peach and suddenly she appears out of nowhere & sits down smelling like Wild Turkey. If she had clothes on it woulda been okay but she was 90% naked and crying about me killing her flowers. Since her husband was a really good guy and outweighed me by about 100 pounds I pretended I had to get ready for work and locked all the doors once I was inside.

I ended up with a hillside of California Poppys in bands of color. These spread also but die easy just mow them down.

Latest posts