My Front Yard

Tennrock

Moved here a little over 5 years ago and have found a lot of historical stuff while clearing, digging footers, planting a garden and installing septic, electrical & water lines. There is a very old home site here but I can't find anything that would date it. I have a 1905 map that shows house locations and this one is not shown. Was metal detecting the old home site this morning & found this. Any ideas of what it could be? It seems to be brass, bronze or copper. It is 1 1/4" x 1 1/2".

Capture.JPG

Here are some of the other things I've found that include marbles, ceramics, glass, copper pieces, buttons and many, many square nails, metal pieces & arrowheads.

3.JPG2.JPGIMG_1347.JPGIMG_0332.JPG

DoubleRidge

WOW.....if I found those points in my front yard.....I'd be installing a new "garden spot" each year...big garden spots.....flower beds..... anything to turn the soil....my wife would probably kill me....lol...very nice finds!

Safari Hunt

The "donut" could have been used to straighten arrow shafts. Some great finds. Contact the UTK history department. You could have some real history behind the location. A target range from the Civil War was found near my son's home. Minie balls, bullets in old leather bags were scattered all over the hill top.

Tennrock

My guess for the circular disk is a bearing block for a friction fire bow drill kit.
That makes since and the size is right. Now I wonder if it is historic or pre-historic.
I found another the same size (1 1/2" O.D.) & thickness (3/4"), with no hole, within 30 feet of it. Looks like it has been in a fire on one side.
Definitely made by man.

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Pretty neat stuff. I have never found an arrowhead or any other historic piece. Granted I have never set out to try either but, I always thought it would be cool to found something. I wouldn't know where to even start.
Again....neat stuff and cool find.
Last weekend I dug deep in this forum looking at everyone's finds... I'm gonna start paying more attention to the ground when I'm in the great outdoors and see if I get lucky!

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Yeah I suppose it is more of just training the eye to catch such things. Similar to being at the beach with my kids a few years ago and over hearing some people talk about all the fossilized shark teeth they had found on their morning beach walks. Well, after talking with them and looking at the ones they had found I gave it a try while on a stroll. Sure enough the fossilize teeth are there once you train your eyes on what to look for and get quick enough to grab it before the next wave comes in. I think I found more enjoyment in founding them than my kids. LOL