My friend meets my 460

Encore Eye Candy

literally and physically.

I have a dear friend that wanted to work up some loads for my 460 rifle. The best way I can describe Pete is that he is in his 70's, at least he looks old as hell. Pete does testing for many rifle and ammo manufactures. Pete does not make any bones about what he is about to tell ya and will to back it up.

His main goal was to develop a load using a 400 plus gr cast bullet to go bear hunting in Canada. I objected to this and explain that the recoil is or would be too much. So he start with a 250 and 300 gr bullet.

I get a phone call yesterday in Pete's loud voice and a few choice words, I have a knot on my finger and a cut on my forhead and it is all your fault. To make matters worse, I start laughing may butt off and said I wish I was there to film it. He proclaims that this has never happened to him with all the guns that he has tested.

This fight with this grizzly bear is not over. He is to have a muzzle brake put on the barrel because he wants to shoot a 400 gr bullet.

Model70Man

400 grains is a tad heavy for the 460 IMO. I can't imagine the recoil. I just shoot the 200gr Hornady FTX for deer and that is a pretty stout load at 2800 fps. I would think the 275 gr Barnes would be the best combo for speed, penetration, and terminal damage for the big bears. I haven't loaded any 275 gr Barnes yet for my 460, but I would guess 2400-2500 fps would be in the right neighborhood.

What powder is he using for the 400 gr load, Lil'Gun?

Hunter 257W

I assume the cartridge we are talking about here is the 460 S&W handgun cartridge, right? When I 1st saw this I was thinking 460 Weatherby in whcih 400 grain bullets would be reduced loads. Especially when you are talking cast bullets which would have to be reduced to keep the velocity down to waht lead can stand. But since you said it's in a TC Encore it surely is not the 460 Weatherby..........you'd have to be a real hoss to fire that! :)

(I have a 460Weatherby Mark V that is a handful with it's 10.5lbs and 66 holes in the barrel.)

Latest posts