• Help Support TNDeer:

My dog died today

gatodoc

Supporter
I deal with death everyday. Most of it is to relieve unavoidable suffering where I euthanize my patients to stop their pain. Some of it is because their owners either can’t afford or are willing to pay the cost of treatment.

Today I lost one of my own. My 5 # (15 yr old) baby died during the night. She died while laying on my legs while I slept.

My wife called yesterday at noon and said our baby girl had vomited a few small pieces of bone. I went home and got her. She was alert and active. I ran a 17 test( blood work to check kidneys, pancreas, liver and all else). It was all normal. I radiographed her abdomen and saw a couple of slivers of bone in her bowel. She’s never fed bones. I assumed she’d found a dead bird in her fenced in black yard and eaten it. She had no abdominal pain and didnt act distressed.

I hoped and prayed she’d react as most of my patients do with similar symptom. I gave her antibiotics and pain medications.

Last night she was restless. She jumped in my lap and snuggled several times. She never exhibited abdominal pain or distress.

We went to bed. I got up at 2:30am for my usual bathroom trip. She was laying by my head. When I got back in bed I checked her. Heart rate a little elevated. Hydration was normal. I made a mental note that she’d probably need more antibiotics and possibly some fluid therapy this morning.

I felt her move down and lay on my legs during the night. I made a mental note not to squash her when I got up.

When the alarm went off I got up. i reached down to check on her. She had died.

I guess I’m relating my immense sorrow to some good friends of mine.

I also want to share. We veterinarians are animal lovers too. We have our own precious pets that we love very much.

Yes, we charge $ to treat your pets, We went to college at least 8 yrs (some more) and studied our asses off to learn all we could about animal diseases and treatment and prevention. We have student loans, wives, children and employees to support and taxes to pay.

Most of us love animals and their owners. We also love our own.

Thanks for letting me share my grief with my friends.

ADR

As someone who shares the same profession, my heart goes out to you sir. We hurt with our clients and feel for our patients but it has a different feeling when it’s our own.
If I can ever be of help, in any way, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Thank you for all that you do for our profession.

Rackseeker

Sorry for your loss, I never had dogs growing up. When my wife and I got married we got a lab. That was 25 yrs ago. I took him to the river at least 2 days a week. He got a hold of something that got him at 8 years old. Our second lab lived to be 14 yrs. old. We now have 2 black labs, pets make life easier for sure. Never easy losing a family member.

bigtex

Oh man, I hate to hear that. Our pets are family. Some people get it some don't. I get it. The wife and I still grieve for our little Maddy who passed away several years ago.
Sounds like she at least passed peacefully.
Prayers of comfort for you and your wife.

iowavf

Sorry to hear this. Pretty tough to take when you're dog is considered part of the family and not just a dog on a chain you feed and water once a day. Our 16 year old Beagle is like everyday I think I'll find her gone, but then she just keeps amazing me. Our other beagle was 12 and he waited for each of the kids to come back and my daughter got back around 10 that night for a visit and set with him for a couple hours. He passed when we got up that morning. That was a tough day and I know when the old girl we have now will be hard because she's with me all the time I'm home.

Latest posts