My baby... and my Stocky's Long Range Composite Review

Urban_Hunter

Here she is:

30dd9ba2451e6c13118efd15c50ac219.jpg

Her story starts with a real desire to shoot long range. Long range to me is 600 yards. I have had a hunting rifle sighted to 400 and killed to 300, but this was desired to be a bench rifle to practice and play with. The goal is MOA with room for improvement AT 600.

Rifle started out as a gift from my wife, a 700 308 Varmint ADL. I chose 308 for a bunch of reasons, but that's another thread. Anyways, it came from dicks in one of the camo sps stocks. I've only put 40-50 rounds through it but it has not been impressive. The stock has so much give it's like holding a noodle, and I knew that's where I had to start.

My Stocky's Long Range Composite

It's still a fresh wound, so let me just say, WHAT A POS this thing has been. Coming from an ADL, I couldn't find any of the stocks that I "wanted" without changing to BDL. Bottom metals... why are bottom metals as expensive as a whole rifle? It's a piece of stamped steel.... So, improvise I did. Magpul box mag setup for the Magpul Hunter Stock. Box mags are cool, right? So, after 32 sanding bits with the dremel, the "bottom metal" fit into the stock. Just slide the barreled action in and done right?

So, I set the action in. The safety is too short, binding on the stock. The action is canted, the trigger assembly tight to one side, with the trigger in a bind. The barrel is tight to the barrel channel on one side and a 1/8" gap down the other. Bolt won't close, rubs Stock. What In the actual "head explodes". The action is so canted the magazine won't insert. Pissed.

I study it. The spring and slider for the bolt release are rubbing the aluminum bedding block. Dremel it out. It's 5% better. I study it some more and enlarge the pocket for the safety, then dremel the top of the stock to allow more clearance under the safety. I have my wife look at it. Can't figure it out. Finally I put some playdoh in the recess for the recoil lug and try to twist the action to square, and pull it back apart. The recoil lug was holding it out of square. I don't know if the bedding block wasnt inletted (I made up a word) enough or if the block is not perfectly square in the stock, but either way... I couldn't get a bit into the inlet so I had to shave to lug. That's right, I dremeled the side of the recoil lug to make it fit into the stock correctly.

Boom. Success. Now the action is square, the barrel is floating (needs a tiny bit of love right at the recoil lug where the chamber swell is), and the safety is free, trigger is not bound. The bolt rubs hard when closing, I'll have to give it some love also. Assembly and paint photos coming.

Urban_Hunter

Base coat

ac0a229a66f4d096b30b3ca22f074475.jpg

Then I layered textured charcoal on top for desired effect. Looks pretty good IMO.

Crooked trigger assembly, wouldn't budge either direction

80831f6ab66280b3656c83bedbc77235.jpg

Look close you can see where the recoil lug was rubbing against the block.

af116834e798e793bbb513714b716210.jpg

Shaving the lug
8d2a210dc027615f4175759679cc1c78.jpg

Finito Muchacho
9d900b7a2159d66845984ca804892234.jpg

brass magnet

Eccelente El Jeffe,, I would expect better quality from a "known" name, but these days......., Oh, well, persevere, and move on, sweet looking rifle, by the way.

mr.big

I would go back everywhere it was making contact and remove more material and then glass bed it as straight and stress free as possible,,

DaveB

Wow, that was not what I expected when i opened the thread. My own experience with Stocky's was good although agreed their idea of drop in is a little off.

Gad you got things right.

TN Song Dog

Wow, what an adventure that turned into! Sounds like most projects I get into. Have to fix 3 or 4 things before you can even start on the intended project. It's looking good, and nice work. The idea to release everything further and then glass bed is a good one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Urban_Hunter

mr.big":1dj1o7w4 said:
I would go back everywhere it was making contact and remove more material and then glass bed it as straight and stress free as possible,,

Contemplating hard removing the barrel channel completely and backfilling it. The stock is available in bull and sporter and they just change an insert depending on which you have. The stock is actually rock solid as is, but I would think that would be beneficial and give a chance to bed the recoil lug all in one piece. But yes, I intend to, especially at the recoil lug. The bedding block is now working like it should, just needs to be tightened up at the lug.

Thanks mr.big, always look for your suggestions

Urban_Hunter

DaveB":3dmytai8 said:
Wow, that was not what I expected when i opened the thread. My own experience with Stocky's was good although agreed their idea of drop in is a little off.

Gad you got things right.

I bought this model because my cousin bought the same stock in a long action. He spent 10 minutes fitting the "bottom metal" and the rest dropped in and worked as described. Mine.... I was not so lucky

infoman jr.

Urban_Hunter":xi5jsk4q said:
infoman jr.":xi5jsk4q said:
I would have sent the gun back. They would have fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The stock you mean? I had already painted and modified it to fit the magpul setup. I doubt they would have helped.
The gun to fix the recoil lug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.big

IMO aluminum blocks need bedded just as much as a regular wood stock,,ever HS Precision stock with the aluminum block I ever had got a skim bed full length under the action and out under the back side of the recoil lug,,even my Stiller Tac 30 action in the AICS chassis is bedded the same way,,

it makes a difference in how they shoot,IDK if it relieves stress as much as in a wood stock or if it deadens viberions or what but it really seems like it helped ever one I ever bedded,,

Urban_Hunter

mr.big":1926iqls said:
IMO aluminum blocks need bedded just as much as a regular wood stock,,ever HS Precision stock with the aluminum block I ever had got a skim bed full length under the action and out under the back side of the recoil lug,,even my Stiller Tac 30 action in the AICS chassis is bedded the same way,,

it makes a difference in how they shoot,IDK if it relieves stress as much as in a wood stock or if it deadens viberions or what but it really seems like it helped ever one I ever bedded,,

Do you use epoxy or glass?

Latest posts