Muzzleloader sight in problem

goose17

Sighting in cva wolf at 25 yards with 100grains of pellets and 270grain federal borelocks . Got it with a good group at 4 inches high thinking the bullet will drop at 50 yards and so on. Couldn't hit paper at 50. So I aimed at bottom bullseye and hit high above the bullseye. Is a muzzleloader bullet still rising at 50 yards even with the lack of speed compared to a center fire?? Should I have sighted in low at 25 instead of high ? I ran out of primers since I was using a box from last year so I will have to go back .

fairchaser

Remember it's a cone. The bullet could be still angled up at 25 yds. It might not peak for another 150 yds. Do what the previous poster said. Get it as close the the bull at 25 and then move out to 50 then 100 yds. You will still be fine at 25 yds.

CHRIS WILSON

Just guessing on the velocity but should be decently close. To answer your question......Yes, the bullet is still rising at 50 yards when set 4 inches high at 25 yards.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221027-182024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221027-182024_Chrome.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 70

Jcalder

Put new scope on is why starting at 25.
It's certainly not a dig at you. Just a rule of thumb, you'll want to be about an inch low at 25 before you go to 100.

My comment was more for the people that wanna ask year after year if their gun is on at x distance, how close is it at 100. I've sighted in enough guns and the number one issue I've found is most of the time you'll shoot over the target because you misjudge how quick you're climbing at 25, or even 50.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I just sighted my rifle in today, and went from 15 yard's to 100 and surprise how much difference it was off. I know you said muzzleloader, but I was confirming what was said about the difference.

Your wolf should be good for 150 Yard with pellets, but you can get better results in my opinion with blackhorn powder and it easy to clean after.

goose17

I just sighted my rifle in today, and went from 15 yard's to 100 and surprise how much difference it was off. I know you said muzzleloader, but I was confirming what was said about the difference.

Your wolf should be good for 150 Yard with pellets, but you can get better results in my opinion with blackhorn powder and it easy to clean after.
I've read that about blackthorn. Thought about trying it, but can't find any. Might be something I work on during the off season .

Shikari75

I like starting at 25 yds prior to moving out to 50 or 100 yds. At 25yds I like to shoot at a small bull; three shot group less than 1/2 inch, basically overlapping holes. Move out to 100 and adjust as desired. My TC Endeavor is dialed in at 2 in. high at 100 yds, that's just what has worked for me for several years now.
100grains measured Blackhorn 209, Winchester 209 primer, with 250 gr. Hornady SST

Dennis

Just for the record, bullets don't climb(rise). They come out of the gun fairly flat, then fall quicker and quicker.

Your line of sight intersects the bullet path at 2 places. You are looking at a downward angle. in between the 2 intersections the bullet is above your line of sight. Nothing to do with bullet rising.

Latest posts