Murfreesboro Police Shooting

Omega

I was more referring to how funny it would have been to watch that guy flop around on the floor of the restaurant and **** his pants, and he wouldn't have had the justification of what was clearly suicide by cop. It also would have put him in the legal system, as it stands now, he's dead, and has really faced no repercussion for his actions.

It also would have potentially prevented an officer having to shoot somebody, which I'm sure is not easy on the officer. I've seen some of the body can videos of what happens to officers after shootings, a lot of them are really torn up, and wish they never had to deploy their firearm. I don't think there's many people out there that actually WANT to kill someone.

Like I said before, I still think using a firearm was completely appropriate, I just think other methods could have potentially been used. Maybe they would have worked, maybe they wouldn't have, but again, The officer solved the problem in what I would consider to be an appropriate manner. I'm not saying that guy didn't get what he had coming.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the officers actions.
Sure, it would have been entertaining had circumstances been different, but disagree with your assessment of punishment, he paid the ultimate price for his transgressions. It may take awhile but the officer should be ok, he just needs to process the situation and realize there wasn't anything else he could do. The perp would probably not have felt the same way had the outcome been reversed.

Sure, it would have been entertaining had circumstances been different, but disagree with your assessment of punishment, he paid the ultimate price for his transgressions. It may take awhile but the officer should be ok, he just needs to process the situation and realize there wasn't anything else he could do. The perp would probably not have felt the same way had the outcome been reversed.
The way I look at it, (I think our opinions differ slightly), death is the easy way out. He didn't face any sort of repercussion for his action, he's just gone. I think in some ways paying the ultimate price is most definitely easier than having to man up and face what you did.

Omega

The way I look at it, (I think our opinions differ slightly), death is the easy way out. He didn't face any sort of repercussion for his action, he's just gone. I think in some ways paying the ultimate price is most definitely easier than having to man up and face what you did.
As far as I know, he hadn't killed anyone, someone correct me if I'm wrong, so his punishment would probably not be all that harsh, and prisons are not all that harsh anyway. Sure, you have other criminals to contend with, but at least you know what you're dealing with. Play your cards right and you can get a free degree and come out in great shape. Many, not all, criminals go on to commit more crimes when they get out, which if you've been paying attention, includes murdering innocent people. The dead commit no further crimes.

DaveTN

As I understand it, and I could be wrong because not much information is being released, he attempted to rob an armored truck first. I don't see any details about what happened there or why that didn't work out for him. He then ran into the restaurant, and we saw how that ended.

I'm guessing he may have been having some kind of mental problem, in which case he may not have even been charged by the DA.

That's merely a wild azz guess, or WAG as we like to call it in the forum biz, based on the armored truck incident.

Lone Hunter

Listened to the recording again. They have cleaned it up from yesterday. Around the 30-31 second mark after the officer had fired on the perp he called dispatch and said shots fired Roll an Ambulance. In the background you could hear what sounded like the perp said I deserve to die and No, Don't roll an Ambulance. I played it back several times to make sure I heard this and am sure that is what I heard. The guy wanted death by cop it appears and received what he asked for. I listened to it, the tape, today and it was not the same recording. CPD always taught if someone had a knife and your weapon was in the holster the person with the knife could be on you and stab you if they were 21 ft or closer before you could draw your weapon . Again, I commend the men and women in PD and all the crap they have to put up with.

Last edited:

Rabbitkil

I was more referring to how funny it would have been to watch that guy flop around on the floor of the restaurant and **** his pants, and he wouldn't have had the justification of what was clearly suicide by cop. It also would have put him in the legal system, as it stands now, he's dead, and has really faced no repercussion for his actions.

It also would have potentially prevented an officer having to shoot somebody, which I'm sure is not easy on the officer. I've seen some of the body can videos of what happens to officers after shootings, a lot of them are really torn up, and wish they never had to deploy their firearm. I don't think there's many people out there that actually WANT to kill someone.

Like I said before, I still think using a firearm was completely appropriate, I just think other methods could have potentially been used. Maybe they would have worked, maybe they wouldn't have, but again, The officer solved the problem in what I would consider to be an appropriate manner. I'm not saying that guy didn't get what he had coming.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the officers actions.

Tasers aren't 100% effective neither is Spray I've used both on people with zero reaction drugs and mental illness seems to have a lot to do with it. If you have never seen what a knife can do and how fast it can happen even against someone with a gun you wouldn't understand why you don't hesitate

As far as I know, he hadn't killed anyone, someone correct me if I'm wrong,
That looked like armed attempted murder of a police officer to me. You don't get a slap on the wrist for that. Someone else also mentioned a robbery. He would probably spend most, if not all, of his life behind bars.

I'm sure you know, but just as a general statement, pleading insanity doesn't mean you get to go home, that means they hold you in an institution indefinitely until you can stand trial.
so his punishment would probably not be all that harsh, and prisons are not all that harsh anyway. Sure, you have other criminals to contend with, but at least you know what you're dealing with. Play your cards right and you can get a free degree and come out in great shape. Many, not all, criminals go on to commit more crimes when they get out, which if you've been paying attention, includes murdering innocent people. The dead commit no further crimes.
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying I think he took the easy way (in his perspective) out. He wanted to go all GTA, and just quit the game before he got busted.

Big Chief200

This country has failed the mentally ill and the police. In the late 1980s we began shutting down facilities that were used to house and treat people with mental illness, saying it was some how unfair and cruel. All this did was dump them on the streets and give Police Officers one more problem to deal with. The end result is what you see on this Officer's camera footage. One person dead and an Officer that has to deal with taking that life. Thank God and the men and women who trained the Officer to respond in the way that he did so he would be prepared to protect himself and the community. Bambi Buster, you are correct he is fortunate to work for the Murfreesboro Police Department. Their Leadership within the organization is not easily influenced by out side political forces and always has the best interest of the officer at heart. Also, our District Attorney in Rutherford County is Probably the best in the state and understands the hardships of being a Police Officer.

rem270

I'm not criticizing the officers actions at all, he did what he had to do, but I think this would have been a perfect opportunity to deploy a taser or OC spray.

Unfortunately, when you pick up two knives and run at a cop you get what you have coming.
Let someone have 2 knives and come at you and let you see how well you do with a taser or pepper spray. If he's on something or the officer misses the perp will be on him in a matter of seconds. For the officers sake I wish that would work and he isn't having to deal with taking someone's life but that's not the case.

I watched first hand when I was 18 an officer tase a drunk guy. He got popped twice with a taser and ripped them out and wasn't fazed at all. Finally the pepper spray put him down but had he had a knife or gun the officers would've been dead.

Lone Hunter

This country has failed the mentally ill and the police. In the late 1980s we began shutting down facilities that were used to house and treat people with mental illness, saying it was some how unfair and cruel. All this did was dump them on the streets and give Police Officers one more problem to deal with. The end result is what you see on this Officer's camera footage. One person dead and an Officer that has to deal with taking that life. Thank God and the men and women who trained the Officer to respond in the way that he did so he would be prepared to protect himself and the community. Bambi Buster, you are correct he is fortunate to work for the Murfreesboro Police Department. Their Leadership within the organization is not easily influenced by out side political forces and always has the best interest of the officer at heart. Also, our District Attorney in Rutherford County is Probably the best in the state and understands the hardships of being a Police Officer.
I have always said there weren't as many liberals running around when we had more Mental Institutions.

Bambi Buster

That looked like armed attempted murder of a police officer to me. You don't get a slap on the wrist for that. Someone else also mentioned a robbery. He would probably spend most, if not all, of his life behind bars.

I'm sure you know, but just as a general statement, pleading insanity doesn't mean you get to go home, that means they hold you in an institution indefinitely until you can stand trial.

Not hardly. I suspect Jillian Ludwig would disagree, if only she were able. 😢 🤬

Last edited:

44 mag

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just saying I think he took the easy way (in his perspective) out. He wanted to go all GTA, and just quit the game before he got busted.
That's Agg Assault which is a C felony at best. He would have to actually stab or cut the officer for it to be attempted murder. They don't give any information on the attempted robbery. For the Agg assault he would most likely get time served and probation. If he didn't have a long record it would probably be dropped to misdemeanor assault.

DaveTN

I have always said there weren't as many liberals running around when we had more Mental Institutions.
That's true. We also had less crime when we put criminals in prison. I see discussion here of how serious the charges would have been if he had lived and how he would have gone away for a long time. I doubt that. In 2023 if they didn't have a father, are homeless, or were having some kind of mental break; they send them somewhere that some folks can get paid by the state for a while, and then they release them to continue their life of crime and mental problems.

It appears to me LE is going all they can do, mental health and DA's aren't doing their job. Defense attorney's have figured out that if they run for DA, they don't have to win in court, just make it catch and release. Mental health has never done their job.

moondawg

Should be, but these days it almost never is. There will undoubtedly be a contingent of idiots insisting that the officer should have tased or pepper-sprayed the miscreant, or run away and called for backup.. It's fortunate for the officer he works for Murfreesboro and not Nashville.
And Memphis.

Lt.Dan

It's always easy for us to sit here and say what we could have, should have done. Until you are in that situation you don't know. I feel bad that the officer will have to relive this everyday for the rest of his life. But it was a good shoot. The 21 foot rule definitely applies in this case. He did what he had to, in order to go home to his loved ones that day. End of story.

Last edited:

Latest posts