Multi State Road Trip Deer Report

tellico4x4

IMG_20221115_124959075.jpg
South Dakota bound!
Pulled out today and going to take several days knocking around and staying off interstates as much as possible on way out. Since I'm driving thru several really good deer hunting states, thought I give some updates as to what I'm seeing each day.
Day 1
Short day from Florence AL to Cookeville TN to spend night with an old friend. Only 190 miles via Fayetteville, McMinnville & Sparta. Saw zero deer dead on roadsides & only 1 doe up feeding in Lynchburg.

UCStandSitter

View attachment 156327
South Dakota bound!
Pulled out today and going to take several days knocking around and staying off interstates as much as possible on way out. Since I'm driving thru several really good deer hunting states, thought I give some updates as to what I'm seeing each day.
Day 1
Short day from Florence AL to Cookeville TN to spend night with an old friend. Only 190 miles via Fayetteville, McMinnville & Sparta. Saw zero deer dead on roadsides & only 1 doe up feeding in Lynchburg.
Welcome to Cookeville. All the dead deer are on the side of I40. Good luck

SSlater

Safe travels. Florence Alabama is a nice area. I bought my tractor from a dealer there.

Love South Dakota. Black hills are amazing.

tellico4x4

Day 2
Long day for this old man, a little over 800 miles by myself. Hit TN, KY, IN, IL, MO & extreme SW Corner of IA. Stopped in edge of NE.
TN - 2/2 (dead & live)
KY - 6/9
IN - 1/0
IL - 2/0
MO - 16/17
IA - 0/0
Had to run more interstate than I had planned in IN & IL. Turned north onto hwy 61 once passed St Louis on I70, then turned west on hwy 36 and ran across entire state to St Joseph. Talk about deer heaven! Seem to be the perfect balance of timber, creek bottoms, ag land & CRP. Did see one good buck locked down on doe in KY close to Scottsville.

Hit cold weather & strong 25-35 mph headwind in IL that lasted all the way across MO. Fuel mileage dropped from 14.5 to 11.2 at 65 mph. With diesel prices from 4.88 to 5.66, it's about the equivalent of tossing a $5.00 bill out the window every 12 miles 🤬.

Couple inches snow on ground from yesterday's storm in MO and was 23 when I got to motel tonight at 7:30.

Saw a few good bucks in people's trucks & trailers but no giants that I could tell.