MSU Deer Lab Corn Feeder Survey

Andy S.

Sharing for Awareness

"MSU Deer Lab Corn Feeder Survey

Landowners/Leaseholders,

This year the MSU Deer Lab updated us on a few research projects concerning corn feeders and wildlife (mainly turkeys and deer). Here are some of the highlights:

Aflatoxin Study
Aflatoxins are toxic compounds produced by certain molds that can cause liver damage, and at some levels death in certain wildlife.
Corn producers test their corn before selling it. In order to be sold for human or livestock consumption it must be below a 20-50 ppm level.
However, if it is above 20-50 ppm, it can be sold as "Deer Corn" or "Wildlife Corn" since these are unregulated.
At 100-200 ppm it can affect quail, turkey poults (baby turkeys), and other small birds - liver damage and death in small birds; decreased egg production and eggshell quality.
At 800 ppm it can affect fawns - reduced body weights, liver damage, reduced feed consumption; in adult does it can reduce milk production.
The good news is that when MSU tested bags of corn the average Aflatoxin level was 13 ppm (ranged 5-23 ppm), and in feeders averaged 58 ppm (ranged 9-139 ppm).
However, the bad news is that when they put corn on the ground (such as with spillage, getting tossed out by animals, or spin cast feeders) and tested it daily after getting wet the levels were 400 ppm by day 5, and 1700 ppm by day 7.
In order for Alfatoxins to grow the conditions must be above 55 degrees F and above 60% humidity. We all know this can be almost any day in Mississippi, but this definitely means it can happen March-October.
Parasite Study
The main parasite of concern was a Protozoa named Coccidia. This has been known to cause die-offs of domestic and wild game birds.
This study found that Coccidia was present 5x more often at feeder sites than non-feeder sites.
Bucks Movement Study
Bucks used food plots 4x more than feeders and used food plots more during the day compared to feeders. Furthermore, when comparing buck movements of deer in areas with access to corn feeders compared to deer that did not have access to corn feeders, the bucks that used feeders:
moved more often at night
moved less often and bedded down more
moved shorter distances
Please pass this on to anyone who may be interested.

Thank you,

Pierce Young

Private Lands Wildlife Biologist
MS Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks
1505 Eastover Drive
Jackson, MS 39211-6374
(662) 549-0451
[email protected]
"

TheLBLman

Scary
Think about how many "feeders" dot the landscape compared to years past.
And more being installed continuously.

I suspect feeders are a significant factor in wild turkey declinations across the Southeast, and may also be contributing the the near extinction of bobwhite quail.

TheLBLman

Inserting a related thread for those interested in more & related info . . . . . .

megalomaniac

Pouring feed on the ground is one of the worst things you can do... which is why it illegal to do so in MS, even though baiting is legal.

And at least here in south MS, older bucks never hit feeders in daylight. In the past 4 years on my south MS lease, not a single buck older than 2.5 has been killed around a feeder.

But our older bucks also don't hit food plots in daylight until late Jan after 1st rut and they've dropped 40lbs.

BSK

Pouring feed on the ground is one of the worst things you can do... which is why it illegal to do so in MS, even though baiting is legal.

And at least here in south MS, older bucks never hit feeders in daylight. In the past 4 years on my south MS lease, not a single buck older than 2.5 has been killed around a feeder.

But our older bucks also don't hit food plots in daylight until late Jan after 1st rut and they've dropped 40lbs.
Years ago, my old boss conducted a fascinating study on a 6,000 acre industrial high-fenced property in South Carolina (the high fence was to protect the industrial area, not to keep deer in, although it did just that). The property was divided in half, with hunters on one half limited to hunting over bait, while the hunters on the other half allowed to hunt anywhere they wanted as long as it wasn't over bait. The results were that hunters hunting over bait had a considerably higher deer sighting rate (deer seen per hunting hour), but no buck older than 2 1/2 was observed at a bait site the entire season. On the other hand, the hunters allowed to hunt anywhere other than bait observed and killed bucks up to 7 1/2 years old.

Once they've been hunted over bait, older bucks quickly learn to avoid bait during daylight.

SEC

The Texas hill country's wildlife has flourished for years with a feeder running about every square mile.

MickThompson

Not trying to be smart in anyway, and I understand corn at feeders is concentrated, but my question is concerning the mold. does the same thing not occur to spillage or in harvested fields?
spillage is a one-time event generally in the hottest, driest time of the year for corn- not replenished throughout the winter. Also, you're talking very little loss per acre with modern equipment

DoubleRidge

The Texas hill country's wildlife has flourished for years with a feeder running about every square mile.

In the other thread on the same topic LBLman posted the following information that makes sense when comparing different locations:

The issue of aflatoxin being present or developing in corn is not as significant Texas for two reasons:

1) Texas generally has a less humid climate than most Southeastern states.

2) It's illegal to sell aflatoxin corn in Texas.

Ski

Not trying to be smart in anyway, and I understand corn at feeders is concentrated, but my question is concerning the mold. does the same thing not occur to spillage or in harvested fields?

I would have to imagine it does, and probably would be naive to think it doesn't happen while still on the stalk. It's also not unique to corn. I've put corn out before and noticed only the first day or two it's out gets much action from anything except raccoons. Beyond 2 days & the only thing that goes after it hard is coons. Deer will check it out but won't stay on it eating like they do the first couple days. I have to assume the animals know what's edible & what isn't, just like the way we throw out moldy bread. I've seen the same thing in acorns. Sometimes I come across an area of acorns that aren't getting touched by deer or squirrels. Something is wrong with them and even if I can't see it, the critters know. They seem to know what to eat or not. That all said, I'm not finding the reward to warrant the risk. If it doesn't aid my hunt, and plausibly affects the health of the wildlife, then why even do it?

Andy S.

Andy, would you be so kind as to post the link for this article so I can forward it to folks I know? I think everybody should be aware of this. Thank you for posting!
I ran across this while reading the Whitetails Unlimited Mississippi Facebook page. The link below has the verbiage, but you will have to scroll down some to find the post. It was posted June 4 at 8:18 AM.