MS deer hunt update

V

Vince

I made some progress today from the last five years. Finally, saw deer from the stand. I saw three does but could not shoot any. Two were in under 100 yards but they came strolling by on the unexpected side that was very thick I couldn’t/didn’t want to shoot through the branches and watched their movement disappear through the branches. I was very thrilled to hear the sound of deer walk, in the silence of the woods - the sound that I had always imagined in my mind when I was reading some of y’all’s hunting stories. The third doe came right under the tree I was perched on. I heard the sound of something rolling down the hill so fast. I turned around, but then this deer just ran under my tree so fast that after turning back again, I barely got any time to shoulder the rifle. One minute later, about 10 dogs follow it. About 15 minutes later, the same doe is running may be about 75 yards away, with four dogs behind it. Decided to end the hunt then. I was also trembling from the cold. Gotta try one more time in the afternoon and once tomorrow morning, the heading back home to TN.

cbhunter

cbhunter

Supporter
Good luck, hope you put one down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

catman529

Glad you saw some deer. Best of luck on the remainder of your trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

V

Vince

Didn’t see any while on the stand. On my way out, I jumped three. It was dark.Two were staring at me, I could see their eyes glow in my cap’s LED light. I stood there for three minutes, contemplating if to shoot or not, as I was loaded. So did they stare at me all this time. Finally I subdued the demon and didn’t shoot. It was a hard decision considering how badly I want to shoot my first deer, but I am glad my hands are still clean. The landowner, my boss’ friend said do whatever I want, since it’s a remote place, nobody checks etc.

I got a few hours of morning hunt lomorrow. May be, I can connect one.

TNRifleman

TNRifleman

Vince":njfih63i said:
Didn’t see any while on the stand. On my way out, I jumped three. It was dark.Two were staring at me, I could see their eyes glow in my cap’s LED light. I stood there for three minutes, contemplating if to shoot or not, as I was loaded. So did they stare at me all this time. Finally I subdued the demon and didn’t shoot. It was a hard decision considering how badly I want to shoot my first deer, but I am glad my hands are still clean. The landowner, my boss’ friend said do whatever I want, since it’s a remote place, nobody checks etc.

I got a few hours of morning hunt lomorrow. May be, I can connect one.

You did the right thing. I'd rather never shoot a deer again than shoot one illegally.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Vince":1mmn7qw4 said:
The landowner, my boss’ friend said do whatever I want, since it’s a remote place, nobody checks etc.
That's an ethical trap, and you won't ever feel good falling into it. Your time will come with solid scouting and patient hunting. Glad you took the high road. Hat's off to you for that!

V

Vince

2017-2018 deer hunting is over for me. Still without a deer. Didn’t see any while on stand 7-10am, but jumped one near where I was parked, on my way out. It stopped in the woods and offered me a shot, but I Didn’t shoot as I was mentally prepared to get back home and didn’t want to spend time following up. Also wasn’t sure about property lines..

Hinestly, I am frustrated and tired, and wanting to give up deer hunting but manhood whispers in the head “shoot one and then quit”. Seriously I thought of quitting if I got a deer but I didn’t get one. Several hundred dollars down the drain too.

On the positive side, went many places and woods this year. Saw deer from the stand for the first time yesterday. Went KY, TN and MS hunting. Can climb with a climber faster now, although I hate carrying it in backpack style.

Don’t know if i’ll hunt deer next year. So many pressing priorities!

Thanks to the tndeer family for the guidance and support. This place rocks! :super:

catman529

catman529

You've made it this far and keep going after em, so don't quit... just wait till you hear your first deer crash. Hope next year goes better, and maybe I can figure out a better setup where neighbors won't be all over us.

Bone Collector

Bone Collector

Supporter
Vince":1966tbq4 said:
Honestly, I am frustrated and tired, and wanting to give up deer hunting but manhood whispers in the head “shoot one and then quit”. Seriously I thought of quitting if I got a deer but I didn’t get one. Several hundred dollars down the drain too. Don’t know if i’ll hunt deer next year. So many pressing priorities!

If you think like this I guess there is no point in going. I can tell you this, if you shoot one, I doubt you'll quit. Also the equipment doesn't go bad, if you take care of it, so it is not a waste. Sure with the licenses cost, I can see you being frustrated if you spent on licenses and didn't get any deer, but if you stick with it, you will get one or more in a season.

Vince":1966tbq4 said:
On the positive side, went many places and woods this year. Saw deer from the stand for the first time yesterday. Went KY, TN and MS hunting. Can climb with a climber faster now, although I hate carrying it in backpack style.

Now that is more like it. Look for the positives, not the negatives. I wish I could have hunted in another state, as it is I never do. Money and time don't allow for it, but luckily i have plenty of opportunity here, so i make the best of it.