Most secure way to store a handgun in a vehicle

FLTENNHUNTER1

Bucket seats
A yukon
A silverado and a colorado
Check these out. I don't have one but there are different console type vaults on the market. Friend had one and it seemed pretty decent. I don't think anything is bullet proof (no pun intended), but it might slow them down. Do your vehicles have alarms? For instance, my F150 and Escape both will blow the horn if you open the door when it is armed. The alarm along with gun vault might make them nervous or draw attention to them enough to move them on down the road to the next victim.

1 good shot

I keep it out of sight and lock my vehicle.

There's not much that's going to stop someone that's burglarizing your vehicle.
My concern is that they are starting to go after people whose handgun is stolen from their car then used in the commission of a crime. Even though the vehicle was, they don't consider the gun secured.

DaveTN

My concern is that they are starting to go after people whose handgun is stolen from their car then used in the commission of a crime. Even though the vehicle was, they don't consider the gun secured.
I understand some folks are fearful that their government may try to prosecute them as criminals when they are victims. That is a valid fear.

Here is what the current law is….

39-17-1313. Transporting and storing a firearm or firearm ammunition in motor vehicle by permit holder or one who lawfully carries a handgun.

(a) Notwithstanding any law or any ordinance or resolution adopted by the governing body of a city, county, or metropolitan government, including any ordinance or resolution enacted before April 8, 1986, that prohibits or regulates the possession, transportation, or storage of a firearm or firearm ammunition, a person who has a valid enhanced handgun carry permit or concealed handgun carry permit or who lawfully carries a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1307(g) may, unless expressly prohibited by federal law, transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the person's motor vehicle, as defined in § 55-1-103, while on or utilizing any public or private parking area if:

(1) The person's motor vehicle is parked in a location where the motor vehicle is permitted to be; and

(2) The firearm or ammunition being transported or stored in the motor vehicle:

(A) Is kept from ordinary observation if the person is in the motor vehicle; or

(B) Is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the person's motor vehicle or a container securely affixed to the motor vehicle if the person is not in the motor vehicle.

Here is what is proposed. I doubt it will pass. The Tennessee legislature at the current time isn't big on making criminals out of victims of a crime. Although that could certainly change.

Present law authorizes a person to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the person's motor vehicle while on or utilizing any public or private parking area, if certain conditions are met. One such condition is that the firearm or ammunition is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the person's motor vehicle or a container securely affixed to the motor vehicle if the person is not in the motor vehicle. This bill revises this condition to mirror the condition set out in this bill, as described above, removing the reference to the interior of the car, so it will be instead that the firearm or ammunition is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, utility or glove box, or a locked container securely affixed to the motor vehicle, if the person is not in the car.

The offense described above and a violation of the reporting requirement will both be Class C misdemeanors, punishable only by the completion of a court-approved firearm safety course.

As you can see, the proposed law would not allow for any real consequences other than having to attend a training class. I suspect the intent is to get this passed and then tell the public they would be open for civil liability.

I refuse to put my life in danger so a democrat can try to shift the responsibility for a burglary of my vehicle from the criminal to me.

If I'm leaving an area where I'm not allowed to carry my gun, that may be a prime area for criminals, and I may need quick access as I enter my locked vehicle. I don't need to be messing with a second unnecessary lock just because a democrat wants to be able to say they passed some legislation.

I doubt the current legislature will go for this. But I would not be surprised to see some liberal DA's try anything they could to put a gun owner on trial. So everyone has to do whatever they think they need to do to stay out of court.

Madbowh

$40 on amazon
20230421_115410.jpg
20230421_115357.jpg