Most OVERRATED hunting gear?

Specializedjon

FULLDRAWXX75":1wbbku0x said:
ALL of it..............lol

My great uncle Mike hunted from the time he was old enough to legally hunt until his passing at 81. He never wore anything but red/black plaid Woolrich (hat, coat and pants)Northern rubber boots, never owned a deer call or used a single drop of cover scent. He carried a good weapon and killed more deer than anyone I know..........the old fashioned way. Hunting the woods, no shooting houses, ground blinds, etc.
He never owned a single piece of camo clothing in his life. LOL.

I have fallen for the latest/greatest gimmicks over the yrs. but am finding. Go back to the basics is working just fine for me as well, and I tag out every yr. with my deer kills.

It is a money making industry out there and the hunters are supporting it.

FDXX75

Shy of my GPS and maybe a trail cam, both help me to get to and locate deer. I can't think of a single other item I have purchased over the yrs. that actually walked a deer into my freezer.

Amen brother....keep it simple

Hymie3

Thanks for the thread and the answers yall have made me laugh....good stuff. Mine would have to Drake Waterfowl gear. I am pretty hard on stuff and for the money its not worth it...
Most underrated piece of gear? Thermacell...

Rakkin6

Hymie3":10a7zbkg said:
Thanks for the thread and the answers yall have made me laugh....good stuff. Mine would have to Drake Waterfowl gear. I am pretty hard on stuff and for the money its not worth it...
Never bought any of the Drake stuff, honestly all my camo either lightweight or the insulated stuff I use Magellan which is Academy Sports brand. It is at a good price point and it has had up well. I agree on the Thermacell though it is aust have for turkey and early deer season.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

tonybart55

Hymie3":bwbsunp9 said:
I don't think I'd hunt early season if I didn't have Thermacell, I whole heartedly agree with you that's the most Underrated piece of equipment. And I swear the farm I hunt is next to the Cumberland and the mosquitoes have to rival anything the Amazon has to offer, some of those suckers are so big I think they might fly me off.

Most overrated piece for me... $1800 Carbon Bows. Not that they aren't good or high quality, but I just can't justify the price in my head when there are so many other great new bows for half the price or used flagships for less than half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

tonybart55":1bbv8adp said:
Hymie3":1bbv8adp said:
I don't think I'd hunt early season if I didn't have Thermacell, I whole heartedly agree with you that's the most Underrated piece of equipment. And I swear the farm I hunt is next to the Cumberland and the mosquitoes have to rival anything the Amazon has to offer, some of those suckers are so big I think they might fly me off.

Most overrated piece for me... $1800 Carbon Bows. Not that they aren't good or high quality, but I just can't justify the price in my head when there are so many other great new bows for half the price or used flagships for less than half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thermacells are the most underrated if you ask me.

Most overrated Nomad and Drake gear

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

bbqit

Hunting clothes have come a long way since I was a kid. We had canvas waders, wool shirts, wool coat (goose down got popular when I was a junior in high school), and tube socks that had no heel. I got a picture somewhere of one of our duck hunts when it started raining as we got out the 2 wheel drive truck to walk across a subsoiled field to the hole. To stay dry I wore a New Orleans saints poncho. Good times

Dennis

The Butt Out tool is far from overrated. It's quite useful, actually. It was $10 well spent for me.
Funny you say this, I was gonna say it is overrated. I tried it once and it just hurt like hell.

Seriously though I did try it once and ended up
with what looked like a butthole popsicle. I buried the thing with the gut pile. And then I though, even if it had worked as advertised, how would I clean it after using it? Just supposed to stick it back in my pack like that?

hittingsteal

Many of us learn from others free of charge. I'll kick this off with my most overrated gear that today I wish was NOT in my arsenal of gear.

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 Waterproof Insulated Boots
Most dont need around here in tn. BUTTTT.. Out west in the mtns canada and AK is a must. I find the merrels iris setter, rocky. Etc. And to think 500 buy alot pair boots.

hittingsteal

ALL of it..............lol

My great uncle Mike hunted from the time he was old enough to legally hunt until his passing at 81. He never wore anything but red/black plaid Woolrich (hat, coat and pants)Northern rubber boots, never owned a deer call or used a single drop of cover scent. He carried a good weapon and killed more deer than anyone I know..........the old fashioned way. Hunting the woods, no shooting houses, ground blinds, etc.
He never owned a single piece of camo clothing in his life. LOL.

I have fallen for the latest/greatest gimmicks over the yrs. but am finding. Go back to the basics is working just fine for me as well, and I tag out every yr. with my deer kills.

It is a money making industry out there and the hunters are supporting it.

FDXX75

Shy of my GPS and maybe a trail cam, both help me to get to and locate deer. I can't think of a single other item I have purchased over the yrs. that actually walked a deer into my freezer.
I know couple guys does same. We make fun of these guys like shockey and couple more the unk randy on savage all dress up in kuiu or ither camo and put on a 5 gal hat with red bandana and get on tv say how good the camo work.. Unbelievable

hittingsteal

For the price....Under Armour.
If you think underarmour is exp you not been looking. And if you hunt any out west esp in the mtns you will find out real quick you wish you had some ua or kuiu or sitka or cabelas windshear. I would not even thinking of leaving house without my ua down jacket or sitka n kuiu gear. But each to they own.

Latest posts