Most OVERRATED hunting gear?

jag1

No I never used that but my buddy had a light that detected blood and it worked decently. Doesn't glow like on the crime shows since you need luminol but it definitely puts off a contrasting appearance.
This stuff was supposed to "hit" the blood and when you shined a light it would glow. It worked great on the commercials lol

middleTNbowhunter

Yeah that's like the luminol they use on forensic files etc. You spray it on an area and then turn on a UV light. No idea where to get luminol.
Heard about it from a couple guys on another forum who swore by it. I picked some up last season but haven't used it yet.

Omega

I carried a small bottle of peroxide, it foams when it contacts blood, and other stuff too, so you have to know what you are looking at. It found a blood trail pretty easy, though only had to use it once or twice since most times the trail was easy to find, and deer would mostly drop within sight.

knightrider

Completely disagree. Scent-reducing soaps are one of the BEST hunting products ever invented.
Used all that crap for years than quit and no change what so ever in sightings or detection, but do what you have confidence in and i will keep playing the thermals because there is no wind direction in these mountains lol

BSK

The Hunting Public about killed my belief in scent-killing products. They stink to high Heaven by the end of a trip, yet smack down deer by playing the wind.
The "crime" is products advertising they can eliminate human scent. That isn't possible. But greatly reduce your scent? Absolutely. And deer determine "threat distance" by the intensity of scent encountered. Heavy scent, danger is close requiring flight response. If scent is light, danger is far away and caution is in order. I can kill a deer practicing caution. Even extreme caution. But I cannot kill I deer running away full tilt.

BSK

Used all that crap for years than quit and no change what so ever in sightings or detection, but do what you have confidence in and i will keep playing the thermals because there is no wind direction in these mountains lol
In my experiments, there is a DRAMATIC difference in sighting rates for hunters practicing scent control versus those who aren't. But then, I'm working with hunters in very steep terrain and thick covering, meaning most sightings are at very close range. For hunters hunting open fields, or in long-range shooting opportunities, I wouldn't expect much difference.

JCDEERMAN

The "crime" is products advertising they can eliminate human scent. That isn't possible. But greatly reduce your scent? Absolutely. And deer determine "threat distance" by the intensity of scent encountered. Heavy scent, danger is close requiring flight response. If scent is light, danger is far away and caution is in order. I can kill a deer practicing caution. Even extreme caution. But I cannot kill I deer running away full tilt.
Agreed. The goal is, if they get the faintest scent from you....to make them believe you are 75-100 yards away, when really you are on top of them. If that buys you 3-10 seconds to get a shot off on a buck you're after, it could make all the difference in the world. And I have been in those shoes and able to pull it off. No doubt in my mind, if I had stunk to high heaven, he would have been in the next county.

Pioneer1789

The Hunting Public about killed my belief in scent-killing products. They stink to high Heaven by the end of a trip, yet smack down deer by playing the wind.
Sure, but I believe in giving myself as many advantages as I can. I'm a believer in code blue spray on my boots. Watched deer cross my path within an hour of getting to my stand and never even knew I'd walked through there. Just any other day. I've seen them spook from my normal foot scent and not show back up for a day or two.

BSK

Agreed. The goal is, if they get the faintest scent from you....to make them believe you are 75-100 yards away, when really you are on top of them.
Exactly.

Last time I had a deer downwind snort and run? Many years ago. Deer directly down wind, close, go on full alert, stomp, back out of the situation? All the time. But there are shooting opportunities on the deer backing out under extreme caution.

Rakkin6

I do use scent control has much has possible. I use scent killer gold laundry soap, body wash and spray. I do always try to play the wind but can sometimes be hard due to my hunting public land 95% of the time and some years 100% all of the time. So I may not be able to get areas I have scouted out or hunt with the wind not being perfect. So I think for me taking these steps plus spraying down my boots on my way in helps. When I am gun hunting I try to climb high also about 25' to 30' up, when bow hunting those steep angles can make shots a little difficult so I keep it at about 20' and 25' of hunting over a field.

JCDEERMAN

Sure, but I believe in giving myself as many advantages as I can. I'm a believer in code blue spray on my boots. Watched deer cross my path within an hour of getting to my stand and never even knew I'd walked through there. Just any other day. I've seen them spook from my normal foot scent and not show back up for a day or two.
You know, I am more OCD about my boots than anything when it pertains to hunting and scent control. Every time I get a new pair of boots for hunting, I broke them in while doing food plots (walking on tilled dirt spreading seed). Not one time have my boots stepped inside - not once. Not a car, a cabin - nowhere but the earth's ground. For most of hunting season, I leave them on the front porch of our cabin. I have a non-insulated pair, a 400g pair and a 800g pair. I'll tell you what, I have seen a difference even I didn't anticipate.

BSK

You know, I am more OCD about my boots than anything when it pertains to hunting and scent control. Every time I get a new pair of boots for hunting, I broke them in while doing food plots (walking on tilled dirt spreading seed). Not one time have my boots stepped inside - not once. Not a car, a cabin - nowhere but the earth's ground. For most of hunting season, I leave them on the front porch of our cabin. I have a non-insulated pair, a 400g pair and a 800g pair. I'll tell you what, I have seen a difference even I didn't anticipate.
Agree completely. My boots are my biggest "scent control" project. Never wear them in the house/cabin. Never wear them in a vehicle. Often put paper-cloth "painters booties" on them if I have to ride in a UTV. No longer have deer picking up my walk-in trail.

Another biggy for me is, before the season opens, having bush-hogged any roads I have to walk to a stand. Tall grass and weeds brushing against my pant legs is a no-no. In the past, I watched deer bust my walk-in trail when they smelled broomsedge grass I had walked through.

Latest posts