Mossberg 835 TSS

TNhunter

really not sure why anyone would use TSS for anything larger than a 20 gauge. Using even regular lead shot out of that 835 is gonna stomp turkeys. Save the $$. I only use 3" copper plated lead shells in 870 super magnum and killed several at 55 yards stone cold dead. I'd never use tss in a 12 gauge.

TheLBLman

Yep, I have an 835. That's funny and true!

FWIW, my understanding is that the reason it's such a beast is that it's overbored. This makes sense to me because when I run a 12 gauge brush through it, it slips through too easily.

Several years ago when I needed to get an optics-ready dedicated turkey gun, my research led me to the Mossberg brand because their 835 & 935 12 ga models had "over-bored" barrels closer to a 10 ga. This over-boring typically means more consistent patterns with lead, although I doubt it makes much difference with TSS.

There were several brands & makes I "liked" better than Mossberg, but went with the 935 mainly because it was available with the over-bored barrel, optics ready receiver, and the reduced recoil of being a gas-operated autoloader. The 935 has much less recoil than the 835 no matter what loads you use.

Have since gone to doing most my turkey hunting with a Weatherby 20 ga autoloader which has comparatively zero recoil with 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz loads.

To this day, I cannot figure out why anyone would choose to hunt with a relatively "noisy actioned" pump-gun ("rattle-trap") over an autoloader. But to each his own 🙂

Last edited:

TheLBLman

really not sure why anyone would use TSS for anything larger than a 20 gauge.

There are actually several good reasons.

1) You can get more consistent, more dense patterns with a LIGHTER payload,
which can mean significantly less recoil in something like a Mossberg 835.

2) You can use a more open choke, giving greater margin of error for closer-range shots (long range as well), while either preserving or extending range.

3) For some, it is to increase range over copper-plated lead, even in a 12 gauge.

4) Using TSS for turkey hunting doesn't necessarily cost much more than using "cheaper" lead loads.
This is in the context of our total turkey hunting expenses, and only firing 3 to 6 rounds or so each spring. Spending a few extra dollars on a few rounds that provide better odds seems reasonable.

If I want to save a few dollars, I'll cut out something else.
Seriously, one meal in a restaurant, once a year is about all we're talking?

megalomaniac

To this day, I cannot figure out why anyone would choose to hunt with a relatively "noisy actioned" pump-gun ("rattle-trap") over an autoloader. But to each his own 🙂
Having never owned a pump action shotgun until I bought a $180 gunshow special (870 youth 20g) to start my kids on until 8 or so years ago... I 'borrowed' it to use myself once TSS became available to those who don't roll their own a couple years after that.

Since then, I've never shot at a bird more than once, so no need for the gun to ever rattle chucking a fresh round in... and for the past decade my personal rule is only one shot. If I miss the first time, the bird gets a 'get away free' card. I'm not shooting at a running or flying bird. So even a single shot wouldn't change the way I hunt.

I loved the kids 870 so much, I bought one for myself 4y ago. $230 at Walmart new, it has been perfect for the punishment I deal out to a firearm over the course of turkey season, and I don't feel one bit guilty when it gets covered in sand and mud. Crazy easy to field strip, disassemble, and clean.

Not that 870s have gone up to nearly $500, I find I don't enjoy beating mine up as much anymore!

TheLBLman

Since then, I've never shot at a bird more than once, so no need for the gun to ever rattle chucking a fresh round in... and for the past decade my personal rule is only one shot. If I miss the first time, the bird gets a 'get away free' card. I'm not shooting at a running or flying bird. So even a single shot wouldn't change the way I hunt.

While shucking a 2nd round into the chamber is noisy . . . . . . .
I've yet to see a pump action that wouldn't occasionally make a metallic noise (loud enough to spook at turkey) just from carrying or repositioning for a shot. For that reason alone, I'd prefer a single-shot break-open shotgun over a pump-action for my turkey hunting.

Fortunately, I have two break-open double-barreled turkey shotguns, and two auto-loading dedicated turkey guns, so should never need to be afield with a single-shot weapon :)

As to taking a 2nd shot, it just depends on the circumstances.
If I really believe I've totally "missed", I'm with you, in that will not take a shot then at a running or flying bird. But if I know I've wounded it, I'm inclined to make a follow-up killing shot.

Last edited:

utvolsfan77

My Mossberg 835 is a factory turkey special that came in a mossy oak camo hydro-dipped finish with a 24" barrel. One day while hunting during the 2014 spring turkey season, I had a coyote come prancing by at about 10 yards out. Knowing how badly I despise those poult/fawn killers, I was naturally curious as to what kind of punishment a 12 gauge 3 1/2" load of copper plated 5-shot would inflict upon a coyote. Apparently, I was also totally unaware of how much rearward pressure I had on the gun because when I squeezed the trigger and shot the coyote, we both did a bang flop! lol

I had patterned the gun earlier in the year and knew it carried more recoil than any of my other shotguns, but I'd never experienced recoil quite like that before. I'm a rifle guy and knew I had a good cheek weld but was unaware I had applied so much rearward pressure on that gun. When I squeezed the trigger, my cheek weld recoiled rearward so hard and fast that it felt like it fractured my jaw. And the top of my shooting hand flew rearward so quickly that I bloodied my own damn nose. lol Elmer Fudd would have been proud!

Needless to say, that's the last time I turkey hunted with that gun and it's been sitting in the safe ever since. Heck, I might need to pull it and the rifled slug barrel out of my gun safe and put it up for sale.

Chickenrig

Make sure when you swing by the sporting goods store to get your TSS shells you also pick up a mouthpiece and boxing/sparring headgear. If you can find one in Mossy Oak or Realtree camo you're all set. The last 835 I shot knocked fillings loose.
I strongly agree with this. I toted one for 20 yrs shooting the 3.5" #5's but my dentist retired !!
I now tote a Franchi AF3 20 g shootin Nija TSS and i now get to keep my teeth in my mouth !
I'm very slow but the light did finally come on
Good luck this season

Hunter0678

I love my TSS's out of a 12 ga, Smoked the last few out to 68 yards stone dead. With the price of them now im considering some buckshot this year or the ol .22.

Latest posts